Easy to use for such a full featured package

Keith S.
Product Manager
Automobile, 201-500 employés
Très faible Très élevée

Commentaires: Support has always been top notch with response times typically of a day or two at most and correspondence from point of contact is exceptional. The software has never failed to produce our designs no matter how complex the job.
The software is a complex and complete 3D package with rendering and even animation capabilities and yet has one of the shortest learning curves to be proficient with that I've ever seen. We can train new users in just a few days and they are designing on their own in no time.
Software updates have their occasional bugs and visual anomalies which I assume is from the smaller install base and therefore low number of testers available compared to some of the others.

Avantages: Ease of use
Short learning curve
Large translator base built in
Can easily modify features of an imported (from another software package) solid model
All the features you would expect and more

Inconvénients: Minor bugs typically make their way into new versions (wait until the patch to update)

Keycreator review

Publié le 16/11/2018
Joe S.
PRESIDENT
Très faible Très élevée

Commentaires: I have seen many benefits from keycreator and one that really comes to mind is the translators built in. I have been able to take work from many different customers using many different CAD programs. Most all documentation these days must be in electronic format so the ability to send files back to my customers which they can easily open I think has been a big plus. I use Keycreator on a daily basis for many different kinds of projects and it has never failed me. I have to say that there are many design projects I would have never been able to take on if it was not for the ability to work with just about any format out there as well as the ability to send back files to my customers that they can work with. Kubotec is constantly updating and improving Keycreator and over the years I have seen great new features added which save me a lot of time and that is kind of the whole point saving time since we all know time is money.

Avantages: There are a few very powerful features in Keycreator which I use constantly one being box move the other being dimension driven editing these two features save me a lot of time in the kind of design work I do. I also like the fact that it comes with translators built in, enough of them so that I have never had an issue importing files from my customers.

Inconvénients: For the kind of work I do I can not honestly say I have run into any cons with Keycreator I have been using it since about 1998 it was called something else back then but it is the same program and despite all the other CAD software out there I never considered switching to anything else. Keycreator is a perfect fit for the kind of design work I use it on it is very reasonably priced tech support has always been awesome. I really can not say I have any complaints about it.

KeyCreator is my secret weapon

Publié le 10/07/2019
Michael G.
Partner
Très faible Très élevée

Commentaires: I design and build custom machinery in the process industry. Projects include complete chemical plant design with piping, tanks and valves as a 3D model, process and mechanical machinery with 100's of parts, test instrumentation, and intellectual property disclosures.
As a user of KeyCreator from when it was known as "Cadkey" until now, it has been my secret weapon for over 30 years. My customers are amazed at the quality of work and the speed at which it is generated.

Avantages: Operations are performed with very few keystrokes. Very flexible customization of mouse buttons, keyboard asignments, and desktop. Easy to write and assign macros to keystrokes.
Very efficient detailing capabilities. Great solid modeling features such as dynamic editing of a dimension. The part updates (parametrically) and the dimension can be erased without affecting the part. All types of push and pull, rotate, etc. editing of parts. Powerful importing of parts from other Cad programs (and corrective tools if the geomtry is flawed). Parts end up as pure geometry and are treated as native KeyCreator parts. Level control by nested tree structure. Undo history. Very extensive reference control to create, convert, and display. But at the end of the day very FAST to create and edit parts.

Inconvénients: The interface is a little old fashioned.

KeyCreator Review

D. bruce W.
Process and Tooling Engineer
Matières plastiques, 201-500 employés
Très faible Très élevée

Commentaires: KeyCreator allows me to review part designs and mold designs from different vendors with out the need of multiple CAD programs to read the different file formats.
I have had only one problem and it is self inflected and has to do with product liscensing which at times can be confusing.

Avantages: KeyCreator has been used by our company for around 30 years in reviewing plastic part and mold designs. It has also been used for fixture and gauge designs and mold designs. I like the software for its ease of use and ability to make changes easily. One of its greatest advantages is its ability to work with both Auto Desk Inventor and Pro-E Creo native files which are the main softwares used by our engineering and design staff.

Inconvénients: Personally I have nothing negative to say about the KeyCreator software. What causes us the most issues is that our engineers are not able to open KeyCreator files in the software they use, specifically Auto Desk Inventor and Pro-E Creo. Step files must be provided and since KeyCreator is not parametric based, the other softwares do not work well with the step files. In our situation the KeyCreator step files are considered dumb files.

Great stable and versatile platform.

Heiner P.
President and Chief Engineer
Très faible Très élevée

Commentaires: Have been using it uninterrupted for 30 years. We design millions of dollars of new products annually with this software.

Avantages: It works with any and all CAD files. We work with many companies and they all use different systems. It has crashed 10-15 times since 1989 when I began with Cadkey V1.62. (And I knew what I did to cause it each time...) They have also not moved a single button on me since 1989 as well. The classic "skin" that I use is still working, despite two newer interfaces being developed in the passing years. There is NO HISTORY, which means it truly is DIRECT MODELLING. I can produce work about 5-10 times quicker than the other leading platforms. I would retire and open a coffee shop if KeyCreator was no longer available.

Inconvénients: FEA analysis is no longer integrated in the package.

Powerful CAD Tool

Publié le 09/07/2019
Greg R.
Senior CAD Designer
Biens de consommation, 13-50 employés
Très faible Très élevée

Commentaires: with using KeyCreator for 14 years I have become extremely familiar with it's features and benefits. coming from AutoCad, it was a fairly seamless transition which took little time to pick up.

Avantages: I find that the ease in manipulating solid models is a great advantage and saves time in recreating solid models when making edits. This software also handles imported files and solids very well and has excellent tools to correct erroneous solid features to speed up and almost eliminate unnecessary recreation of models.
utilization of the sheet metal bending features is a big plus in generating correctly sized flat blanks for forming.

Inconvénients: Seems as of the recent few years, new versions of software contain numerous shop drawing layout/ dimension glitches. Support team is responsive to review and offer corrections in updates and service packs, but still slows down production when dimensions "jump" or detail callouts are skewed causing shop workers to question details.

The Designers Dream

Publié le 26/06/2019
Andy F.
Designer
Construction, Auto-entrepreneur
Très faible Très élevée

Commentaires: I design and draw for the Joinery industry, and we have proven over and over again that the more detail we draw, the more we are able to see the problems before they manifest in the real world. It may be seen by the layman as an unnecessary exercise in the manufacturing process, but as a professional it is a critical part of the process. We would never go back to the trial and error method of the past which relied heavily on the experienced craftsman. We feel that modern joinery should be more like engineering in wood.

Avantages: I can create engineering grade designs incredibly quickly, then share them with others. The cutting section feature shows people exactly what is going on inside a design.

Inconvénients: Sometimes the Layout interface is quite challenging, especially if there are a lot of sections. The software appears to check layouts, or redraw layouts at start up, even if the programme is opened in model mode. I have suggested many times that ...as a user, it could be helpful to only redraw/ refresh a layout when it is selected to be viewed/edited.

User for over 20 years!

Tom D.
Défense et aérospatiale, 2-10 employés
Très faible Très élevée

Avantages: I have been making models and prototypes for over 35 years and have been using KeyCreator for over 20 years, starting with CadKey. I receive files from my clients who use a wide variety of CAD programs and I seldom have issues with translation. When I do, KeyCreator technical support will help me figure out the issue promptly. I have seen the program make leaps and bounds in ease of use over the years, from editing poor quality imported files to creating our own complex files. The Dynamic move and face handles are awesome and are used constantly in my work.

Inconvénients: We do tons of 3D printing, which requires working with stl files. Importing and editing stl files is not a strong suit for KeyCreator, but exporting them for printing works perfectly well. Though the initial cost of KC is comparatively low, the annual maintenance is a bit frustrating, but I guess that is the cost of program up keep.

Complete Control and Fast!

Publié le 05/10/2018
Don B.
Engineering Manager
Design, Auto-entrepreneur
Très faible Très élevée

Commentaires: I have used KeyCreator to design parts, prints, and assemblies for just about any idustry you can think of, as well as for a fast calculator, a translation software, and have been able to exploit just about every aspect of the capabilities of this software. I love KeyCreator!!!

Avantages: Complete control! This software doesn't take anything for granted. If you want to do something you tell the software exactly what you want to do and that is exactly the results you get. KeyCreator makes no assumptions! NO mating constraints required. Place a part and move it instantly, you dont have to search through an endless feature list, to find a specific sketch to modify. If I want to edit something I just edit it! Simple, Fast, Easy!

Inconvénients: Even when a new feature is introduced, if the bugs aren't worked out there is always some work around that you can figure out! So even the bad things about this software are a testament to how good it is!

CadKey - KeyCreator Functionality

Publié le 20/11/2018
Très faible Très élevée

Commentaires: CadKey was the first CAD program I used, and I am partial to it. We use it for 2D drawing and 3D projections, as well as output for CAM programs (primarily waterjet and laser) and it works very well for us. It also provides a very quick means of checking machining trigonometry and jig/fixture design.

Avantages: Having used KeyCreator since the 1980s when it was called CadKey, I appreciate the consistency of the platform and the power of the drawing components. Although the user interface evolves with new versions, it is always possible to set up a new installation with previous interfaces.
We also use other CAD/CAM software, but find that KeyCreator is preferable for coding waterjet and laser programs.

Inconvénients: The odd glitch in the program can be irritating, but customer support has been able to provide work-arounds.
The cost is a major consideration, and in the last couple of years we have moved to a 2D version to compensate.

Nice program but room for improvements in the help tool

Rick M.
Project Engineer
Très faible Très élevée

Commentaires: I use it to create various parts, molds, 3D printed parts, fixtures, etc.

Avantages: I found it relatively easy to use this program after using another software for over 30 years. It's reasonably powerful in the tools it offers, and very forgiving and I like that you can back-track and try something else if it doesn't give you the results you were looking for.

Inconvénients: The help function is lacking, they should show examples of the tool you are asking for help with and walk thru each option explaining how, and when, to use them. This is one of my biggest complaints with the software. I also would like to see it retain the values from the last time you used a tool, some of them do, but many do not. When copying items it would be great if it would evenly space the copies between two selected points, that would save a lot of time.

Unknown Software

Publié le 10/07/2019
Doug W.
Engineering Manager
Impression, 51-200 employés
Très faible Très élevée

Commentaires: File translations give us a huge advantage over competing businesses.
Building the model is similar to working in the shop with milling, welding which makes it very intuitive for those of us that work in both designing, machining, welding and building machines.

Avantages: We get models from Europe that I have no idea how they were created. With KeyCreator I can always open them and work with whatever type or vintage they are. If there is any problem with the model I can have it sent as a STEP or IGES and work it out. Having used this software for a long time I like the Classic Interface using the F keys. A person memorizes the sequence of keys and it is like playing the piano. For example, 6 6 4 1 1 to move entities to another level. 4 1 1 1 to move an entity. I still use the custom control bar with icons but the F keys are very fast for common repetitive tasks.

Inconvénients: I would like to see a very basic version that our maintenance techs could use to sketch up welded frames ducting and simple machined parts. They may only use it once a month but a simple version for a few hundred dollars would help them out. They would have the option to upgrade when they start using it more.

KeyCreator

Jon S.
designer
Automobile, 13-50 employés
Très faible Très élevée

Commentaires: It's nice to be able to work seamlessly with 2D, 3D wireframe, surfacing or solids. The software is well suited to working with a wide variety of situations.

Avantages: It's very easy to use for modeling it's features are intuitive.

Inconvénients: It doesn't always deal with problem geometry well.

Does it all in one package

Publié le 26/06/2019
Steven E.
Meubles, Auto-entrepreneur
Très faible Très élevée

Commentaires: With the huge library of translators I'm able to open almost any format from auto industry parts manufactures and create vacuum hold down fixtures to fit their products. I ship the finished fixture with the tool paths for their machinery. Geometry based editing allows me to create files that are difficult to impossible to render with history based Cad.

Avantages: The integrated G-code generator saves tons of time posting to my 3 axis mill

Inconvénients: Migrating to the newest version is always an afternoon lost importing settings and tweeking all the menus as I wish them to appear. Although it was easier with the latest release.

KeyCreator Review

Tooling and Facilities Engineer
Matières plastiques, 501-1 000 employés
Temps d'utilisation du produit: plus d'un an
Très faible Très élevée

Commentaires: It is a easy software to use, with numerous functions. It could use a user interface overhaul, but other than that it works well.

Avantages: KeyCreator excels at modifying surfaces, 2D editing, and the use of layers to control the model. It also is a great conversion software from other native CAD file types.

Inconvénients: Native conversion software for proprietary file types such as Solidworks, NX, Catia, Autodesk, etc.

Kubotek Review based on the past 3 revisions

Publié le 12/11/2018
Manoj B.
Dimensional Engineer
Automobile, 1 001-5 000 employés
Très faible Très élevée

Commentaires: We use cad for differentiating engineering changes between old and new CAD models, KeyCreator does the perfect job on that part. Can see very minute differences too.
Most of the time we use Keycreator for creating gd&t and roadmaps for the assembly and stampings which does the job pretty well.
If you ask me to suggest, I prefer some default gd&t/drawing pages and title blocks for the organization. Also, it would be awesome if you include a tool for tolerance stackups.

Avantages: User friendly - anyone can learn easily.
Simple layout/ atmosphere.
Best for designing solids like the die and tools.

Inconvénients: Some of the Cads received from customer doesn't load that easily - takes lot of time compared to other softwares.
I see transition errors with some of the assembly cad files.
Doesn't interpret magenta/mating surfaces on some cad files.

Pretty good, but difficult to interface with industry standard Solidworks

Zak M.
Fabrication électrique/électronique, 13-50 employés
Très faible Très élevée

Commentaires: I have used KeyCreator for 10 years so I have loved it, but the difficulty working with Solidworks files is almost an insurmountable problem at the moment.

Avantages: The price is good compared to Solidworks. The interface is relatively easy to use. The customer service response time is sometimes good, and other times very difficult.

Inconvénients: The biggest problem KeyCreator has is that the industry standard in 3D modeling has gone to Solidworks which means that Kubotek needs to be able to interface with it. That appears to be a challenge. Most of my customers use Solidworks so it becomes a challenge to interface with them.
Also, it is really easy to have files become messed up (meaning extra lines, faces warped, etc.) and not so easy to fix.

KeyCreator 2D user

Chris R.
Engineer
Machines, 51-200 employés
Très faible Très élevée

Commentaires: KeyCreator is a legacy software where I work. We have since added a currently very popular modeling software. KeyCreator will likely become unnecessary for us at some point and will be discontinued here.

Avantages: 2D sketching is relatively easy. There are options available that save time, such as tangent lines to circles options.

Inconvénients: The software seems glichy at times. I often experience odd issues, such as drawings disappearing when toggling between model and drawing views. They can usually be retrieved by highlighting the area. Another example is inconsistent snaps then dimensioning. Sometimes an additional line is required so the software recognizes where to snap, even though there is already a snap location there.

EFFICIENT.

Publié le 01/02/2019
Larry A.
TOOL DESIGNER
Génie mécanique ou industriel, 51-200 employés
Très faible Très élevée

Commentaires: I HAVE BEEN USING THE CADKEY/KEYCREATOR PRODUCT FOR YEARS. I HOPE I NEVER WILL BE FORCED TO USE SOLIDWORKS.

Avantages: *3D & 2D IN ONE PACKAGE. MY MODELS ARE NOT ASSOCIATED TO MY 2D - THE WAY IT SHOULD BE.
*GREAT TRANSLATORS.
*GREAT 3D TOOL. I HAVE NEVER RAN IN TO SOMETHING I COULDN'T DO. NO RESTRAINTS. EASY TO EDIT.
*EASE OF FILE MANAGEMENT.

Inconvénients: KEYCREATOR 2019 IS UNSTABLE ON MY COMPUTER. IT WILL OFTEN TIMES CRASH WHEN SAVING, OR WHEN I "CLICK" ON ITEMS TOO FAST. KEYCREATOR 6.5.2 IS STILL THE MOST STABLE VERSION - THAT IS WHY I STILL KEEP THAT VERSION ON MY COMPUTER. I HAVE ASKED SUPPORT FOR HELP WITH THIS ISSUE MANY TIMES, AND THEY CAN'T SEEM TO HELP ME, WHICH IS DISAPPOINTING.

Keycreator great package, reasonable price

Cliff H.
Très faible Très élevée

Commentaires: My overall experience has been pretty good. But to be honest, the problem has to be major before I will contact them. I usually figure out a work around and keep working.

Avantages: It can handle any drawing/ modelling task that I have had do. The feature editing capabilities and the dimension driven editing. It is also easy to customize and generate macros or programs to help me be productive.

Inconvénients: I don't have any major dislikes that come to mind. It does have a bug or two but any package as complex as this is not going to be perfect. The main issue would be long delays in layout processing for the first time in large assemblies and it really gives you no idea where it is 5% or 95% or is it hung.

easy

Marc D.
many
Équipements publics, 13-50 employés
Très faible Très élevée

Commentaires: perfect for moulds design

Avantages: can import many other cad files from our quotes requestors

Inconvénients: new version installation each update instead of just update

The CAD System I love since more than 30 years ago.

Publié le 30/01/2019
Jesus O.
General Director
Emballage et conteneurs, 201-500 employés
Très faible Très élevée

Commentaires: I have been using this software since I was 20 years old. It was called Cadkey. Now I'm 54.
I mainly design all the plastic products that we manufacture in this software. As I mentioned, what I liked the most of it is its intuitiveness, I mean is very logic. Other CAD software doesn't have such intuitiveness, so it is very difficult to find the function you are looking for.
Even though the rest of my designers use other CADs (because they are used to them), I have no problem to import their drawings, neither to export mine to them with the format they requiere.

Avantages: The easy of use and how intuitive it is.

Inconvénients: When handling too many entities, it is sometimes slow. In the past there use to be tutorials for each function, directly recorded in the software folder.

CadKey to KeyCreator

Publié le 29/01/2019
Dawn B.
Engineering Support Manager/Technical Documentation
Machines, 13-50 employés
Très faible Très élevée

Commentaires: I use Keycreator from the simplest part drawing, to the complete machine drawing, to the exploded view that I export into our parts manuals. Keycreator's value allows a small company draw big.

Avantages: I have been using Keycreator for 20+ years. Staring with just 2D and growing with the software to 3D modeling. There are many functions that make my work easier, starting with the fastener and structural shape library to the export of .pdf and images. Bending sheet metal and shelling solids are two functions that I use daily, along with .dxf to laser cutters.

Inconvénients: Imports from .iges and .step files can be challenging at times, depending on how they were saved.

Legacy Tool LLC

Dean S.
Owner / Engineer
Très faible Très élevée

Commentaires: I do much of my modeling with KeyCreator and have for decades even back to Cadkey Dos. Most recently, it seems like KeyCreator has been maintaining translator for other cad systems but really not developing its own features and new technology to compete. It makes me wonder what are the goals at KC going forward?

Avantages: Ease of use is a big plus. The functions aren't buried under sub menu after sub menu after pull down like other systems however I do notice other systems are getting better with that now.
KC Direct modeling makes modeling quite quick.

Inconvénients: Drawing layouts are not very robust and the rendering and associativity never gets fixed from one release or Service pack to another. the drawing layout is what communicates the model to the manufacturing department and if it isn't trustworthy, everyone involved is on edge.
many times the system won't show me geometry and the only way I can get it back is to save as a junk file to be safe and then re-open the file and it shows up. The system is a bit quirky that way in model space but I find that Drawing layout has even more of these quirks I need to work around.
If I move a detail from one level to another generally it means my layout is messed up from there on. I find I have to be very intentional about having every detail and sub level established ahead of making layouts or its a bunch of work to get the layouts back in order. Associativity is lost in those instances as well.
some functions and trims I would like to do on solids either won't work, or corrupt my solid.

Software with a Purpose

Wayne N.
Aviation et industrie aéronautique, 2-10 employés
Très faible Très élevée

Commentaires: I've been a user for about 30 years and have used every version. With a few exceptions each version has been a great tool for me. Never understood the benefits of a Parametric (history based) software. I like the direct approach for what I design.

Avantages: Fast
Easy to navigate and understand
Easy to edit geometry (no history tree)
Multiple ways to accomplish tasks
Customization of the interface
Dynahandles for dynamic changes to geometry
Good support and teaching tools
Great Translators

Inconvénients: Could have better graphics for High res monitors
Icons appear outdated
Locks up too often
Lack of a CAM software
Price compared to what's available today