Best Software for Transcribing

Caroline I.
SAP B1 Consultant
Traduction et localisation, 2-10 employés
Très faible Très élevée

Commentaires: Generally, I think express scribe is the best software for transcribing. No tool can much up to the functionality that comes with it. I would advice an upcoming transcriber to give it a shot.

Avantages: My most favorite thing about Express Scribe is that it has many features that help you work faster. Some of this features include shortcuts for starting/stopping the audio, rewinding, forwarding, playing fast speed, playing slow speed. I think my favorite feature is the setting that allows you to 'auto backstep on stop.' This allows you to automatically rewind a word or two from where you left off. I have always loved this feature because it allows you to have a smooth continuity as you are transcribing. making you work faster. Another thing I like about Express Scribe is that it easy to use. The software is less than 1 MB and the process of installing it is very starting forward and first. Once you have it installed, it is just a matter of dragging and dropping an audio file into the, and you can begin transcribing immediately. Since Express scribe is a desktop application, you do not need an internet connection to use the software. As a transcriber, this can significantly reduce your data costs.

Inconvénients: The challenge I have always had with Express Scribe is that some of its shortcuts interfere with the application's shortcuts on your machine. For example, in Microsoft Powerpoint, the key F5 is for switching to slide mode but it doesn't work if Express Scribe is on since the same key is a shortcut to do something else in Express Scribe. Another challenge with Express Scribe is that the writing interface doesn't have auto correct options like those of word. This forces you to copy paste your work to another application for editing and proofreading.

Well designed transcription software that can handle audio and video

Publié le 10/09/2018
Research and Cultural Consultant, Editor/writer, interpreter.
Enseignement supérieur, Auto-entrepreneur
Très faible Très élevée

Commentaires: I relied on Express Scribe for at least 6 years to transcribe hundreds of pages of documents. From about 2009-2011, I ran Express Scribe in WINE in a Linux host operating system for at least 2 years and did encounter a number of compatibility problems. Things may have improved dramatically since then owing to great improvements in WINE. It seems fairly priced for a professional software too. Overall, Express Scribe is an outstanding tool for transcription

Avantages: During my graduate work, I relied on Express Scribe to help transcribe hundreds of hours of audio and video interviews.
Especially useful are the program's hotkey controls that enable the user to back up the recording by increments that the user can select. This is extremely useful for reviewing recorded segments that are difficult to understand.
Express Scribe supports all but the most obscure audio formats - a fact that is exceedingly helpful when dealing with student assignments that have been recorded on a wide range of mobile phones and mp3 devices. Users can use a hot-key to automatically insert time stamps throughout the transcript, or manually insert timestamps at key points though the document. The use of timestamps allows users to correlate the audio track with the exact position on the written transcript. Though I have never used a control pedal with Express Scribe, many times I wished that I had one. Use of a control pedal would free up the user's hands to focus more on typing transcripts.

Inconvénients: Express Scribe is not available in a native version for Linux. However, Express Scribe can run in Linux using the WINE Emulator.
Keep your original receipt for the software and installation codes. If you reinstall your operating system, you may encounter problems reactivating Express Scribe.

The Ultimate Tool for Transcriptionists

Publié le 01/10/2018
Frederick O.
ICT Officer
Logiciels, 51-200 employés
Très faible Très élevée

Commentaires: Generally, I think Express Scribe is the best tool for transcription. I have not come across a software that beats Express scribe regarding transcription functionality.

Avantages: I think Express Scribe is the ultimate tool for transcribers because of its numerous and powerful features. I like Express scribe because it has so many settings which help you make the process of transcribing easy. Examples of such settings include the sub-tab for 'playback' where you can specify settings for either playing 'increasing speed' or 'constant speed,' 'default slow playback speed,' 'default fast playback speed,' 'autobackstep on stop,' among other settings. Another cool thing about Express Scribe is the numerous shortcuts which help you work faster. F9 is for playing, F4 for stopping, F7 for rewinding, F8 For fast forwarding, among other shortcuts. These shortcuts are really awesome. I don't know what I would do without the shortcuts. Another advantage of Express scribe is that it is easy to integrate it with other software for more functionality. For example, you can connect Express Scribe with software that converts audio to text. Your work will be easier since the only thing you need to do is edit the transcript that has been done with the software.

Inconvénients: The disadvantage of Express Scribe is that the interface offered by the software for typing is not the best since it doesn't help in proofreading. Like it doesn't show you misspelled words and other corrections like Microsoft Word does. I actually don't use the interface anymore. I use Express Scribe for everything else but when it comes to typing out my transcripts, I use Microsoft Word. In short, I use Express Scribe and Microsoft Word simultaneously. Another challenge with Express scribe is that it is not free. They only offer a trial period for the software. After the trial period, you have to pay for the software.

Excellent tool for those working with transcriptions.

Publié le 18/01/2019
Ignacio araujo C.
Freelancer Translator
Traduction et localisation, Auto-entrepreneur
Très faible Très élevée

Commentaires: If you work with transcription services, this simple program is a must-have tool in your "utility belt"! At first, it may seem too simple and even a bit old-fashioned. But you will realize that less is more in this case, and its clean layout is perfect to make your job easier. Also, they have lots of shortcuts (all customizable) and it is totally compatible with a USB pedal (that professional transcribers use to make their job even faster and easier). Give it a try it and you will ask yourself how you could ever transcribe without it!

Avantages: A simple, yet powerful tool. It has lots of shortcuts to make your job easier (rewind, forward, pause, slow-down or speed-up video, etc), plus full compatibility with an USB pedal, if you feel like using one to support your job. Once you get used to their shortcuts, you will work faster than ever and won't see other option to transcribe any text!

Inconvénients: As for the tool itself, almost no cons.
After years of usage, I had one or another problem to open some kinds of videos, but I could easily convert it to a more popular format and it worked fine.

Mostly I love it, rarely disappoints

Publié le 15/03/2018
Monica P.
office manager
Services juridiques, 2-10 employés
Très faible Très élevée

Commentaires: Affordable software for playing back my audio files to get my transcription work done effectively.

Avantages: What I like most is the variety of file options that Express Scribe plays without having to worry about converting the audio or having to use alternate methods of playback.

Inconvénients: What I like least about this software is the fact that if you have to reinstall it on your computer you have to pay full price again each time. I personally have had to do this twice. Frankly, I would prefer to pay more for it one time and get unlimited updates and downloads than have to pay a smaller amount any times I have to reload onto a computer for whatever reason.

I absolutely love the smoothness in receiving my dictation & loading and transcribing it!!

Publié le 18/07/2017
Ashleigh T.
Legal Assistant
Services juridiques, 13-50 employés
Temps d'utilisation du produit: plus d'un an
Très faible Très élevée

Commentaires: We received it with the foot petal for transcribing dictation, plus the program itself. It works so easy to transcribe from any computer!!

Avantages: How easy it is to use, very reliable, makes sharing dictation so easy! My boss very simply transcribes to his portable device, loads it up and sends it to me. I save to a file and it automatically sends me a notification alert that I have dictation ready to be transcribed. Wonderful program!

Inconvénients: All the additional things I would love to use cost extra money.. but a flip to that is I never actually NEED any of those additional add on items. They may make my life a little easier, but DEFINITELY not necessary for me to do my job great!

Great for doing transcription

Publié le 02/11/2018
Tonya S.
Transcription
Recherche, 13-50 employés
Très faible Très élevée

Commentaires: I have used it for over six years with my transcription work. I love how easily it connects to my foot pedal, how with one click, I can open Microsoft Word and start working. The speed control and volume control switches are easy to get to.

Avantages: It is very convenient and easy to use. I love how easy it is to connect to a foot pedal.

Inconvénients: No complaints that I can think of. There's a cost now but I think it's worth it.

A must have tool for all transcribers!

Publié le 10/07/2018
Matthew S.
Transcriber
51-200 employés
Très faible Très élevée

Commentaires: The software benefits me by allowing me to adjust audio and playback speed, and allowing me to keep my hands on the keyboard while transcribing with the use of shortcut keys.

Avantages: Express Scribe brings ease to transcription by improving workflow with shortcut keys or with the use of a pedal. The use of shortcut keys allows you to never have to take your hands off the keyboard while transcribing. Without this software, my work days would be so much longer then they need to be. This software is easy to install and use!

Inconvénients: If I could change one thing about the software, I would probably give it a more updated look, it has an older feel to it, but that's not really a huge concern!

Can't go wrong with basic transcription software

Publié le 23/02/2019
Kelley R.
Assistant Professor
Enseignement supérieur, 5 001-10 000 employés
Très faible Très élevée

Avantages: I like the simplicity and ease of use with this software - you can just install it and get going. I've also found that it works well with and without a transcription pedal. Before I had a pedal, I was able to use keyboard short cuts and hot-keys without an issue. When I purchased a pedal, it was easy to link up with Express Scribe and select the specific setup I preferred for my pedal.

Inconvénients: I often use Word in tandem with Express Scribe for formatting and grammatical purposes. I wish it was more of an "all-in-one" program. I also wish there was a true "free version" not just a free trial because I often recommend this software to college students.

Use this program every day!

Publié le 11/10/2018
Renee H.
Transcription Supervisor
Psychologie, 51-200 employés
Très faible Très élevée

Commentaires: I use Express Scribe every day at work. It is very user friendly, and I love how easy it is to customize. I love that you can personalize hot keys to make my job much quicker.

Avantages: This software is very easy to customize and navigate and very user friendly!

Inconvénients: Has not had many updates, which can be both good and bad.

Express Scribe is great. It NEVER crashes. It is very easy to install and use. I love it!

Publié le 03/04/2018
Diana F.
Medicl Scribe/Supprt Staff
Temps d'utilisation du produit: plus d'un an
Très faible Très élevée

Commentaires: The ease of install and use. It worked immediately with my peda. I recommend this for sure!

Avantages: How easy it is to use, and it never crashes. It also has features where you can add notes to your files, which helps immensely. I have loaded 70+ files at once and it has never failed on me!

Inconvénients: I switched computers, and was had to re-buy the program. I had my original receipt, but for some reason, I had to buy it again, which was a repeat of 1 year's time.

Simple to use, makes transcribing files a simple task.

Publié le 18/06/2019
Freelance Transcriber
Internet, Auto-entrepreneur
Très faible Très élevée

Commentaires: Excellent. Has been a time saver and simple to use.

Avantages: I really liked the ability to utilize the hotkeys and use of the program while it runs in the background.
It makes transcribing tasks a lot easier, being able to assign the hotkeys to your preference and
you can easily skip back, forward, speed up or slow down the audio, even while the software runs in the background. Saves a lot of time without the hassle of pause/play, back and forth between applications.
Also, your finished work can easily be exported to a word processing application of your choice.

Inconvénients: Personally, I have had no issues or negative opinion when using this software.
One thing I have noticed, which could pose an issue to others, is that not all file formats are supported. Even then, it does offer a free trial to a separate application, in which you can easily convert any type of file into the formats used in Express Scribe.

Simple and Effective Transcription Software

Publié le 27/07/2019
Special Education Teacher
Enseignement primaire et secondaire, 201-500 employés
Très faible Très élevée

Avantages: Express Scribe was very easy to use. I had only had experience with one other transcription program before this, but I had no problems learning this one. It was easy to connect to my footpedal, but it also has hot keys for those who don't use a pedal. The volume and speed controls met my needs. I used it along with a word processing software to complete my short-term (6-12 months) job of medical transcription. For the price, it was great.

Inconvénients: It would have been nice to have more audio filters. I didn't see options to adjust mid-range tones, though it did have an option to eliminate background noises. This was fine for the relatively quiet and clear medical transcription files I was transcribing. For those transcribing files with groups or garbled speakers, you may want to consider something with more options. (I never needed to use the background noise filter, so I can't vouch for how well it worked.)

I have been using this software for years, and it is easily transferred from one PC to another

Publié le 28/03/2018
Clinical Administrator
Très faible Très élevée

Commentaires: I was able to train people on the software remotely without issue, due to its ease of use. I earn money doing transcription using it, so I gain monetary benefits as well.

Avantages: This product continues to work even if you never update to the newest version. Sometimes newer is not better, and the time it takes to learn a newer version is always lost time. I like that this is reliable no matter what version I use.

Inconvénients: This software does not always load the audio files the first time. It may take 1-2 times to load a file before the audio completely downloads, but that is rare and always resolves.

Best software for dictation-cost effective!!

Publié le 28/08/2018
Ashleigh T.
Legal Secretary
Cabinet d'avocats, 13-50 employés
Très faible Très élevée

Commentaires: Very easy to setup, love that the foot pedal comes with the program- cost effective and very easy to use, our whole office uses it and likes it very much.

Avantages: How easy it was to set up and most of the times, it is super easy to load and transcribe the dictations. I also love the extras they offer.

Inconvénients: Sometimes my boss/attorney records his dictation in a different format somehow, and it won't work with Express Scribe. BUT.. even then I just tell him and he saves it as the correct format and the issue is solved! Just takes an extra step!

Great for transcribing

Publié le 16/10/2018
Erica B.
transcriptionist
Services d'information, Auto-entrepreneur
Très faible Très élevée

Commentaires: I do love Express Scribe. It is the best transcription software that I have used. I've tried a couple different softwares and this one is by far the easiest to transfer files and just use in general.

Avantages: I love that I was able to use my foot pedal with this software, which made my transcribing work so much faster and easier.

Inconvénients: I had to pay for the upgraded software just to use my foot pedal. I feel as though you should be able to use the foot pedal with the basic software.

Does the job!

Publié le 13/12/2018
Karen S.
Medical Transcription
Santé, bien-être et fitness, Auto-entrepreneur
Très faible Très élevée

Commentaires: I am very happy with this product and have not yet looked for any other options as I have everything I need with this one. The foot pedal is a must

Avantages: Easy installation and I would recommend buying the version that comes with the foot pedal and all of the installation files. Works great with my medical transcription

Inconvénients: When installing the software it was simple to do but almost seemed like malware initially.

Great App

Publié le 05/02/2019
Writer, Researcher, Mentor & Consultant - Exercise and Strength and Conditioning
E-learning, 2-10 employés
Très faible Très élevée

Commentaires: Very happy with this software - great complement to the audio recorders from Olympus and others. Well done. Many thanks.

Avantages: I love simplicity and Express Scribe has that in spades. I've used it to transcribe interviews from 3 different research studies. Like the ability to filter, enhance and slow the audio down. Great cheap option with all that I needed for my work.

Inconvénients: Probably setting the hotkeys​ to control and pause the audio - often conflicts with other apps

Transcription Simplified!

Publié le 21/10/2018
Joseph N.
Professional Freelancer
Rédaction et correction, 501-1 000 employés

Commentaires: Express Scribe is such an amazing software

Avantages: The Software has control of the files like I had not known before. With just a foot pedal, you can chose when to play, pause, fast forward or rewind your audio. It also has got options to changing the speed of the audio. To make it more convenient for the transcriber, the software offers a text box in which you will type what you hear from the audio. Sometimes in a conference or a meeting, some said things may pass me by. With Express Scribe however, I can sit down and retrace what was said. I can also put it into text for easier reference.

Inconvénients: It however lacks format options for the transcript.

Absolutely fantastic!

Publié le 07/05/2018
Digital Note Taker
Support client

Avantages: I personally love the way you can slow down or speed up audio by percentage. That makes such a huge difference with transcription!

Inconvénients: I wish there were more options to raise/lower levels of audio. That would help transcriptionists hear different speakers, adjust the audio levels as needed, etc.

Super cool that you're able to use a pedal and control the sound.

Publié le 19/01/2018
Haylie B.
Transcriptionist
Support client

Avantages: You're able to use the pedal and control the sound. The display is super easy to read and all the info you need is right there.

Inconvénients: Freezes a lot and the pedal won't work sometimes. The customer service stinks. I emailed them to see why I wasn't able to use a free version anymore and never got a response back. Turns out it's a free TRIAL it never says that on the website.

Customer support: there is none. I was on hold 2 hours, then gave up

Publié le 14/05/2018
Kate D.
Support client

Avantages: The free version works for what I need. I was able to transcribe all of my info just fine. It was all going well until I lost all my data suddenly, and was told I needed to buy the "Pro" in order to could continue.

Inconvénients: I lost all my data on the free download. The whole thing disappeared. When I try to click on the downloaded now, I get a message that says "Your free trial for Express Scribe Pro has expired" and to continue I need to register and pay. The download on my computer is NOT "Pro" it's the free version. It's a scam to get me to buy. If you do download the free version, which isn't bad, definitely save to a word doc frequently. It seems the whole thing could disappear at any time. I had only been using the free version a couple of weeks when they told me the month of my "Pro" trial had expired.

Express Scribe

Publié le 23/11/2018
Charlotte W.
Customer service rep
Services aux consommateurs, Auto-entrepreneur
Très faible Très élevée

Commentaires: Overall, I've had success with Express Scribe.

Avantages: It makes transcribing quite a bit easier. Hot keys allow you to hide the app & still control it. I like that I can drag & drop files into the app.

Inconvénients: I didn't love downloading another thing to my computer & I think there were some ads & other wares that came with it.

very good

Publié le 21/03/2015
Satyaprasad U.
employee
Support client

Commentaires: covers for all types of audio files