Wave is a Great Accounting Suite - and it's FREE!

Publié le 05/07/2019
Dane J.
Owner/Operator
Comptabilité, Auto-entrepreneur
Très faible Très élevée

Avantages: Wave is a great piece of accounting software that rivals Quickbooks and Xero. The biggest winner, which it obvious to anyone who has researched Wave as an accounting platform for their small business: it’s FREE! Both Quickbooks and Xero have fairly low-cost pricing models for small businesses that range all the way to fairly high-cost for larger businesses. Wave, on the other hand, is specifically tailored to the small business, and offers only features popular with those businesses. But, because of this, their base accounting software is completely free. Their only products you would be billed for would be payroll or credit card processing, both of which are priced competitively to Quickbooks/Intuit’s and Xero’s offerings as well. Wave also offers a lot of the same features, including automatic bank and credit card feeds, customized charts of accounts, multiple businesses on one account, smart expense categorization (software learns over time), and more.

Inconvénients: Wave does have its limitations and is more basic than Quickbooks or Xero, especially to us accountants who can see the glaring differences. However, even as an accountant and bookkeeper, I recommend Wave to a lot of my smaller clients whose biggest consideration is cost, simply because you can’t beat free. Plus, a lot of the additional features that offerings like Quickbooks or Xero feature, smaller businesses will not always utilize anyway, so Wave fits them perfectly. All-in-all, there are no large drawbacks.

Wave Shows Me the Money!

Publié le 15/05/2019
Andi L.
Founder & Owner
Marketing et publicité, 2-10 employés
Très faible Très élevée

Commentaires: Before I used Wave, I was behind every month on my invoicing. I hated sending invoices, and I really, REALLY hated being the Collections person, asking my clients to pay their bills. Then I found Wave, and my whole life changed. I was able to get set up super quickly, connect to my bank, add my clients' contact information, and set up the template for my invoices. Now, I have "Monthly Invoicing" on my calendar, and it takes me about 15 minutes to handle the task (instead of 2 hours). My favorite emails are, "Congrats! You Got Paid!" from Wave. I feel fantastic!

Avantages: Wave has absolutely changed my business for the better. It used to take me about 2 hours a month to do my invoicing, which I hated doing, and so I avoided it. Now, I handle monthly invoicing in about 15 minutes. Plus, as new clients come in or one-off projects are completed, I can send the invoices quickly—like 5 minutes. So ease of use is absolutely the first thing I love about Wave. Second, as a small business owner, I am in charge of acquiring new clients, executing the work, invoicing for the work, and then acting as collections when clients are late in paying. With Wave, I check a simple box that sends reminders to the client when things are past due. What a relief! It's coming from "my accounting department" rather than me. Hallelujah! Third, the payment process is so easy for my clients! They can pay any way they want—check, credit card, bank, whatever. It's so easy for them, and I have had zero complaints. It's also fantastic to know when clients have (or haven't) viewed the invoice. And getting the emails from Wave announcing that I've been paid are the best emails of the day. The fact that all of this amazingness is free? That's just the icing on the cake. Thank you, Wave!

Inconvénients: My only issue with Wave is probably a rare use-case. I manage invoicing for a client of mine. (Side note: Wave made it SO EASY for me to be an admin of her account but not the manager, and I can log into my account to access hers. It is AWESOME!) She sells programs, and her clients generally pay in one invoice. Occasionally, her clients need to pay in installments. It was not easy to set up a recurring invoice for only three months to send to the client, especially without a credit card on file. I had to create three different invoices, and label them as Installment #1, #2, etc. However, I recognize that this is probably a one-off user scenario that not many people would need. And I can't complain when the tool is free, and I found a workaround.

Wave has amazing functionality for a free product, but it's not as good as it should be

Publié le 14/12/2018
Jack E.
Services et technologies de l'information, Auto-entrepreneur
Très faible Très élevée

Commentaires: I have been using Accounting by Wave for nearly three years. It was a replacement for my Simply Accounting program. I am forever wondering how Wave can afford to make such a polished product available at no cost. Initially, there were ads, but now that they have a revenue stream from additional services, the ads have been removed. I have opted not to use their in-built payment processing feature, but I imagine it would be similar to Paypal in terms of the fees. Day-to-day operation of the program is smooth. They use a Zapier interface to my bank to update balances and download transactions. This interface is quite slow, although the speed has improved somewhat over the years. As bank transactions are imported, they are categorized into various income/expense categories. I find the categorization to be fairly unhelpful. Even after the user changes the categorization of transactions, Wave does not remember these settings. The next time data is downloaded, it will use the same, incorrect categories as the previous time. Wave is currently rolling out a new version of their software, which promises improvements to the AI (artificial intelligence) capabilities. I hope this means they will remember user-defined categorizations, but until my account is updated, I cannot speculate. There is one VERY ANNOYING bug in the program that I have described in the CONS section, since I've run out of space here.

Avantages: The software is FREE for everything other than PAYROLL and PAYMENT PROCESSING. If you don't use those components, there is absolutely no charge. For the most part, it is user-friendly and straightforward, and the quality of its printed invoices, customer statements and reports is top-notch. I really appreciate the ability to create recurring invoices (subscription billing) and view monthly income/expense bar charts for a 1- or 2-year period.

Inconvénients: This is bookkeeping software that stresses simple data entry. However, it doesn't have features such as audit trails for transaction entries. With this program, it is possible to generate transactions, generate reports, and then reverse the transactions without any way of knowing that changes were made. Wave attempts to categorize your income and expenditures, but doesn't currently have the ability to remember your categorizations. But the thing I like least about this software is a BUG that causes the program to download bank transactions and incorrectly categorize them as duplicates of previously downloaded transactions if the transaction amounts match. This bug makes it difficult to find transactions when you are attempting to reconcile your transactions.

Great alternative to Quickbooks for small biz users

Publié le 03/11/2018
Chris K.
IC
Biens de consommation, Auto-entrepreneur
Très faible Très élevée

Commentaires: I have two small e-commerce business, and needed a way to track my inventory purchases, sales, shipping expenses, etc. I also had two independent contractor businesses, needing to track expenses such as mileage, supplies, etc. With Wave, I have each venture as a separate company, I can customize the chart of accounts for each one, create invoices for my independent contractor gigs, track invoice status so I don't overlook if something doesn't get paid on time, and review my income and expenses each month. I sometimes do consignment sales for clients in my e-commerce business, and Wave helps me keep track of those sales and settle up with clients each month. Truly a lot of great features offered, and I don't even use all of them (like Banking & Payroll). So glad I found Wave, and I have recommended it to many others.

Avantages: Wave offers a lot of the basic accounting functions needed for small business users, and the best part is that it's FREE TO USE! Woo hoo! I used QuickBooks in my previous career, and liked the detail it provided, but once I started my own small e-commerce business, I didn't want to spend hundreds of dollars on software, or get locked into a recurring monthly subscription. I was thrilled to find Wave and amazed that it was FREE!

Inconvénients: I wish there was a keyword search function in the Transactions section. Sometimes I need to look for a specific transaction but don't remember the exact date it occurred, so have to scroll through several pages to find what I'm seeking. A workaround is to export an Income Statement, then search or sort in Excel, but obviously that takes several extra steps and time. But since it's not costing me anything, this is a minor inconvenience.

Accounting, with all the bells and whistles, no costs.

Publié le 15/03/2018
Miguel G.
Logiciels, 2-10 employés
Très faible Très élevée

Commentaires: My business accounting needs are not big. My business is small and provides a limited number of offerings that are easily tracked with any application. So, when I was looking for an accounting solution to further simplify and automate some functions, I was surprised at the number of products and the wide range of prices out there. I stumbled across Wave by accident and decided to give it a try. Besides being free, the list of standard features was greater than all other products out there... from free competitive services to paid basic subscriptions. Wave is truly amazing and I have found it extremely helpful. I use it primarily to bill clients: I create invoices, submit them via email, receive payments online, and request receipts to be sent to clients after payment. Wave provides notifications and simplifies all of my accounting in one place. I would not use any other product.

Avantages: Wave is free, and packed with features one would typically pay for in other premium products. Wave is the perfect accounting solution for small businesses. For starters, it offers all the essential features ANY business needs... plus more. Manage estimates, invoices, and statements with ease. It even supports recurring invoicing, manage payments, and build a massive library of products and services to choose from for your estimates and invoices. Wave even manages receipts, bills and vendors to track expenses. Like more control than just simple single entries? Wave supports traditional double-entry accounting as well, for increase control of your business accounting needs. Need to accept credit card payments? Wave has a built-in merchant account feature that let's you collect payments online through your invoices. Make email invoices, or attach them as PDF files. And when you get paid, Wave notifies you. Funds are transferred to your connected business account in a couple of days. Reporting? Wave has you covered. All essential reports are available at your fingertips: financial statements, taxes, customers, vendors, and other general reports. And if your business has employees, Wave can handle your payroll. But this feature is a premium... everything else is part of your free account.

Small business accounting, invoicing, credit card processing for minimal cost

Publié le 12/08/2018
Mark B.
Proposal Manager
Services et technologies de l'information, 51-200 employés
Source : GetApp
Très faible Très élevée

Avantages: As many other reviews have stated, there is no subscription cost for Wave, which is great. There have been a number of features added to Wave since I started to use it, such as recurring invoicing/credit card processing and direct bank payments. Wave's support is helpful, money is transferred quickly, and my invoices look great.
I am providing a more detailed review than I did the first time, but I have "sung the praises" of Wave a few times. (Including on Twitter, and they promptly thanked me for it - they listen, which is great). Wave is Canadian, and they are based in Toronto, but that is only one reason I chose to work with their service. I have a couple of complaints about their service, but nothing serious enough which would cause me to switch services. The flexibility of PDF/web-based invoices is great, retains client details, and it just gets the job done for me as a freelancer.

Inconvénients: On a few occasions, my invoices got picked up by my clients' spam filters, so I tend to use the PDF invoice option. Not a big issue, I've followed up on it. Also if I take payment through PayPal, I can get paid in US funds, but I have to invoice in Canadian funds only through Wave because my bank is in Canada (even if I have a US funds account). Oh well, again, no big deal. Apparently, there is auto-reconcile of transactions through AI functionality in Wave's future, which will address another pet peeve I have, but again no big deal.

Easy to use and helpful

Publié le 20/11/2017
Virtual Bookkeeper and Web Designer
Très faible Très élevée

Commentaires: Easy, almost fully automated bookkeeping. The invoicing and payment features automatically updates my books when I get paid, the bank connection means that I only have to reconcile my account to make sure everything is ok.

Avantages: This is great for the very new or very small business. It's easy to use and has all of the basic features that you will need for an unbeatable price. It's very easy to use and the documentation and support have been very helpful. There is no phone option but live chat is available and I have never had to wait more than a day for an e-mail response. It is truly free to use for accounting. You have the options of accepting credit card and bank payments for a very competitive rate. The only other cost is for payroll if you were to use that feature. The software is in active development and since I started using it they have added great features such as Invoicing app, recurring payments, and bank payments and it keeps getting better.

Inconvénients: Limited reporting, you get all of the basics that you will need to measure your financial health, receivables, etc but there are no custom reports. While you can very easily reconcile your bank account, you can't print a reconciliation report. There is no class/job tracking feature and while it looks like many users have requested it, it doesn't look like the developers are planning on implementing it anytime soon. So if your business needs this feature, this is not the right option for you.

Free accounting with added features and mobile tools

Publié le 27/11/2018
Gregg B.
Executive Director
Institutions religieuses, 2-10 employés
Très faible Très élevée

Commentaires: Really powerful accounting software with automated tools for transaction importing, electronic payment processing and mobile tools for expense entry and invoice creation. Excellent for the price, knowing the service fees for payments and payroll offset the "free" price tag is more than worth it compared to the competition.

Avantages: Wave allows me to keep track of finances for multiple enterprises - self-employment business, a non-profit, and personal finances. Each account was set up using the Wave wizard and very few changes have been made to the overall function beyond that. The non-profit I manage has a series of account codes that were easily added and applied to transactions. I use multiple income streams for my business and they are all imported automatically. Wave charges for things like payroll administration, credit card processing and bank transfers - all at industry standard rates - and that's how they keep the base platform free. The mobile expense app helps me keep track of receipts and does a really excellent job of deciphering receipts, even in multiple languages and currencies! The mobile invoice app is great for sending quick invoices or following up with clients on payment. Also allows viewing and reporting for authorized agents who can't change any data - a needed feature for the separation of financial powers required with most non-profit setups. My accountant can take a peek too.

Inconvénients: One feature that is present in most accounting systems is the ability to categorize an expense as a reimbursed expense and then assign it to an invoice - at cost or with a markup. With Wave, I needed to set up a separate "reimbursed expenses" account and then - via double entry - add the expense onto invoices with a "reimbursed expense" account code. If entered at cost, the balances zero out in the reporting. If there is a markup, the income category is "reimbursed expense", which isn't helpful for year-end accounting.

Simple Online Invoicing - Accounting Tool

Publié le 09/10/2018
Belinda S.
Creative Director
2-10 employés
Très faible Très élevée

Commentaires: As a small freelance shop, we needed an invoicing program with accounting capabilities that was simple to learn and use as well as being flexible enough for multiple devices. We tried several other programs but they were either too expensive or too complicated, with many functions we didn’t need, or were too hard to learn. It took very little time for us to learn and set up Wave Accounting for our office and start using the invoicing feature. We're quite pleased with the program.

Avantages: We found Wave to be easy to learn and set up and it allowed us to connect to both bank and credit card accounts. Invoicing is easy and flexible allowing us to download a pdf and attach to an email for a client or to send directly from Wave. Our clients can print the invoice and mail us a check or pay online with a credit or debit card through Wave. Wave’s fees are competitive for processing the funds. The funds are directly deposited into our connected bank account, usually within two business days. The invoicing features were our biggest need and the program allows us to send the invoice, send reminders, mark paid and send receipts.
Setting up the chart of accounts was probably the most challenging, but there is a default chart which can be edited or added to and we easily found tutorials online. Their customer service was quite responsive to our questions.
The reports function gave us what we needed for monthly, quarterly and year-end reporting. All in all, Wave was a great solution for our invoicing and accounting needs.

Inconvénients: We needed some specific tax calculations but found there was no way to add a specific formula into the tax account. This requires manual entries for us. Because the program is a streamlined accounting version, which is what we really like, it does have some limitations.

Great Software for Small Business (Beta User)

Publié le 08/10/2016
Al C.
Computer Consultant
Réseaux informatiques, 13-50 employés
Très faible Très élevée

Commentaires: I started a business and wanted to avoid getting locked into the Quickbooks infrastructure like last time. Wave Accounting online was successful in helping me with that goal!
I found everything I needed for income and tax reporting as a small business. Wave Accounting made me look very professional with the ability to email invoices and collect payment using credit cards.
Issues I encountered included occasional sync problems with my checking account (similar to issues's I've had with MINT by Intuit). When I decided to change from Suntrust bank to a local credit union I went a couple of months without ability to sync my accounts. Customer support (by email) was friendly and adequate.
Some features like payroll are paid features. Processing credit cards will cost you a percentage of each transaction (4% it was at the time I used it). Some features like paying 1099 (contract) employees were very necessary for small business but still in development while I used the software (it works now).
I didn't personally find anything else fundamental missing but I'm not an accountant - I'm an IT guy who wanted to do my own books. Wave fit my needs exactly and will probably be enough for you. During the time I owned and operated my business I may have saved over $300/year and avoided the frustration of working with the crazy behemoth that is Quickbooks (however my credit card fees added up to about twice that). If I were starting over again today I would have to carefully reconsider and compare with Quickbooks Online. I would NEVER willfully choose to run their desktop products. Cloud based products with online support and integrated security features is the current way to go.

Avantages: Cloud

Inconvénients: Support

Simple Back Office Accounting

Publié le 10/10/2017
Belinda S.
Creative Director
Conseil en gestion, 2-10 employés
Très faible Très élevée

Commentaires: Wave seems to be a company looking toward the future for small businesses. With their affordable, cloud based solution they also offer a receipt app for adding images to the expense files. There are many other integrations I expect to use in the future via the Wave Zapier connection. I have been using it for a year now and am just so pleased with how Wave works.

Avantages: For small studios, new and busy entrepreneurs who trying to generate enough revenue to hire or outsource the accounting functions, Wave is like an answer to prayer. It is easy to open an account, it has all the accounting ledgers that the tax accountant needs, it connects to read-only of bank accounts and credit card accounts, and did I mention it is a free cloud-based solution. The user interface is easy to understand. You can create and send invoices as well as connect a business bank account to receive payment with Credit or Debit cards. The bank fees are the same as other payment processors at 3% currently. The invoicing function allows for automatically reminding clients when their invoice is getting close to being due and when it is overdue. Once the money is received it is a simple click or two to mark the invoice paid and tell it which account the money was received into. Like other complicated accounting software, Wave allows for setting up products, sales tax and customers. Unlike the complicated ones, it is easy to do. Running sales tax reports is a piece of cake. There are options for running employee payroll, too. All in all, because of the Wave accounting solution, I am no longer afraid of the books and can easily keep up with the administration of the financial side of my business.

Inconvénients: It would be helpful if there were more tutorials available, but because the program is easy to set up, it has not been a big problem to figure things out or find third-party tutorials online.

What an amazing product!!!

Publié le 01/08/2018
Jenny M.
Administrative Assistant
Temps d'utilisation du produit: 1 à 5 mois
Très faible Très élevée

Commentaires: Easy management of all financial needs for my not for profit; accounting, invoicing, billing, payment tracking, payroll management, finance management and receipts.

Avantages: This accounting package is a fully functional, forever free, product that has turned me, a nuffer when it comes to bookkeeping/accounting to someone who almost knows what they are doing. I have ALWAYS avoided the finance side of the non for profit with which I work as a volunteer, but circumstances forced me to get at least a working knowledge and Wave has made it so easy. The package comes complete with accounting, invoicing, billing, payment tracking, payroll management, finance management and receipts. It also does bank reconciliations and lots of different reports. All of this was far more than we needed.
I read some of their FAQs then launched myself. Made some mistakes as I set up customers but was able to fix it fairly easily.
Our invoices look so professional now and I can schedule them to send reminders.
It links to over 90 banking institutions (ours included- yay!) and that has made tracking payments and and creating reports SO easy. The transaction stuff is easy to modify, and deposits can be split and allocated to the correct chart of accounts if they were all paid in one payment.
The income and expenses for your budget are easy to set up (chart of accounts) and it has things I definitely have no idea about like equity and assets!
You can add guest contributors, and allocated them ac
There is an option to use credit card payments. That is the only cost. We have chosen not to use that yet, but I think we will, moving forward.

Inconvénients: You can upload a .cvs file with all your customers, but it has to be SO exact that I could not succeed at all and inputted my customers manually. As there were only about 60 it was not too bad.
Support were good, but slow, and I had done the manual input before they replied.

Great bookkeeping solution for online businesses

Publié le 12/04/2019
Vente au détail, 2-10 employés
Très faible Très élevée

Commentaires: Very good value and great solution for small businesses and startup. Improvements over the years have shown forward looking development team which other providers often seem to lack.

Avantages: Best overall value for online bookkeeping solution. Due to changes in recent years with other similar platforms as far as pricing structures, updates, and feature implementation, Wave accounting seems to have become best overall value for small businesses and startups in our opinion. Easily allows connection and synchronization with virtually all major financial institutions and saves tremendous amounts of bookkeeping time. It used to run very slow, had an unintuitive interface, and feel outdated. However, they have made many changes in the right direction in the past few years with a new interface, faster platform, and very competitive optional plans that include payroll service and payment processing.

Inconvénients: The biggest downside is that everything is limited to income and expense. It would be nice to have the ability to generate balance sheets which is required for any corporate filings. I feel it cannot be considered a comprehensive accounting platform if limited to income and expenses only.

Great Web Based Accounting Solution for my Business

Publié le 06/03/2018
Sarah P.
Marketing et publicité, Auto-entrepreneur
Très faible Très élevée

Commentaires: I now have a very clean and easy to understand accounting and invoicing software. It's a quick learn and easy and fast to use so I can focus on my clients.

Avantages: I love that this is free and has the ability to do more complicated accounting that my business requires. It has a clean UI, the Receipts app works perfectly, and my client facing invoicing system looks professional. I love that I can set up recurring invoices, different rates for services, payment reminders to clients, and email confirmations of payment. The accounting side has the ability to create more detailed journal entries that my LLC / contractor based business has. And I can run very good reports for data that I need to monitor. And so far the entire software has every feature that I've needed.

Inconvénients: When you go to create a new expense account, you can't just add a new one, you have to change the name of an existing option in their system. It's a bit weird and annoying, but small price to pay for free and useful software. Also I don't actually have Wave synced with my bank account. I did that initially, then realized if I load a receipt, it was double booking my entries (1. the receipt I uplodaded and 2. the transaction from my bank account). Turns out this is common with accounting softwares and most people I talked to don't sync their bank accounts for this very reason. Again, small price to pay for a great software, and it's really super quick for me to enter my transactions as my way of reconciling my bank account.

Simple, Cloud-Based, and Integrates Well

Publié le 18/09/2017
Paul C.
CFO
E-learning, 2-10 employés
Très faible Très élevée

Commentaires: Simple, easy to use, consolidates many banking accounts into a single reporting system, good invoicing features and the mobile app for invoicing is pretty good.

Avantages: Invoicing has improved greatly with the additional of bank transfers (fee is 1%) so you can kiss the 3 or 4% credit card fees goodbye. This may not make a huge cost savings for those businesses with small ticket items but higher priced ticket items using the bank transfer option save a good chunk of change. Invoices are easy to generate and pay either via the desktop or mobile application. Our organization has multiple banking accounts and we use this tool to consolidate it all into one report. Reporting is solid and meets our basic needs for balance sheet, aged accounts receivable and income statement.

Inconvénients: A stronger mobile app for handling accounts payable or pulling an income statement or balance sheet reporting is missing so getting the latest sales figures on your mobile device while your boss is calling you in a panic can be a bit tricky. Extracting the raw data is a bit tricky by having to run transactional reports but overall this still works pretty well.

Great for basics, not for the advanced

Publié le 14/12/2017
John M.
Owner, Consultant
Support client

Avantages: I enter my bills, get reminders, and create all of my invoices with Wave. I even track my hourly time by creating estimates, then turning those estimates in to invoices once a month. Basic stuff, but very helpful. I used to use Quickbooks, but that was like a Porche when all I needed was an old Ford. I have no bookkeepping background, not an accountant, but I find Wave helpful and simple.

Inconvénients: Only one contact per company is allowed, which is annoying. For instance when invoicing, most people want the invoice to go direct to their accounting dept. But if you work for someone other than that accounting person, in order to cc them with the invoice you need to manually enter their email address on each invoice. Every month. There is no function to easily track your time, and if you bill by the hour this can be a big deal. But there is a work around. In my case I invoice monthly on the 15th. So to start I will create an estimate with a date of the following month on the 15th. Enter my product, the description will look something like "11.30.17 Phone call with Steve", quantity is hours or decimals of hours (i.e. 0.5 = 30 minutes), and the price is my hourly rate. It works. Each task will have it's own line on the estimate, and when converted to an invoice the customer gets a detailed invoice with date, what I did, duration, etc.

Perfect for One-Person Businesses

Publié le 09/02/2019
Quinn B.
Photographie, Auto-entrepreneur
Très faible Très élevée

Commentaires: Wave has and still is the best solution for me. I originally started using it because it was one of the only accounting/invoicing services that had a free plan. That was important for me because I run a debt-free business and didn't want to pay for a monthly service before I even had my first client. Wave's support is also some of the best I've experienced – they're thorough and take the time to go above and beyond to help explain the answer any question I've had.

Avantages: Wave has allowed me to send invoices, collect payments, and keep track of income/expenses all in one place. I am a one-person business and when I was first starting my business, I didn't have the need or money to hire a book keeper or accountant. My overhead was low and I only had a few clients each month. The free plan that Wave has helped me manage all of the important accounting stuff by myself without sucking a ton of time out of the week. I've used Wave for years as I've scaled up.

Inconvénients: There was definitely a learning curve to get it set up and understand how it worked. The invoicing and payment setup I needed weren't complicated, but the capabilities of Wave overwhelmed me at first. It can do so much, and the hardest part was to understand the specific features I needed. I wish there were options during setup to view Wave in either a simple setup (i.e. basic accounting, invoicing, payments) or a comprehensive setup (using their accountants, payroll, receipt capture, bookkeepers, etc.)

Excellent Software For A Small Business

Publié le 11/06/2019
Owner/Design Consultant
Design graphique, Auto-entrepreneur
Très faible Très élevée

Commentaires: Excellent! It's an amazing application for running the accounting side if things for a small business. I'm not sure if this would be successful for larger businesses, but it could,
I use Wave for my Graphic Design business. I own an Etsy store, where I sell templates for business cards and marketing materials. I have an order placed through Etsy where the client provides their details to be printed on these. I enter the customer and the invoice into Wave, mark it as Paid, then order the printing and enter a bill for my vendor. I can also invoice clients through Wave (non-Etsy clients), where I created a sharp, professional-looking invoice template.

Avantages: Ease of use: Wave provides the easiest and most user-friendly interface I've ever seen for a free accounting application. From entering invoices to entering bills to running reports, it's all self-explanatory.
Invoicing: Create your sharp-looking invoice template that you can send to clients to request payment. The application will track and notify of the invoice from being read to receiving payment.

Inconvénients: Etsy Integration: The Etsy integration is a great idea and makes things even easier. However, I discovered this integration after I had been using the application for months. Since I had manually entered hundreds of invoices manually, there was no way to match those existing invoices with the existing invoices from Etsy.

Love this bookkeeping program (and it's free!)

Publié le 10/05/2018
Miranda S.
Member / Owner Designer
2-10 employés
Très faible Très élevée

Commentaires: So far Wave is my favorite bookkeeping system for my home fashion design business, number one, because it's free and every dollar I save really counts, and two, I can use it on my ipad or my iphone anywhere and do business outside of my loft. I have yet to use the integrated Payroll as well but hoping to test that out very soon. I really appreciated the online live training sessions too. I thought that was helpful although the program is already easy to use.

Avantages: It's FREE! I've been spending dollars per month with two other online bookkeeping programs and this free program does pretty much everything they do. It's simple, quick (fairly quick page load times) and offers all the reports I need. Customer support is great and they have 3 live training's every week. I'm impressed with how much they offer with virtually no costs. They also offer bank and debit/credit invoice payments right in the program with 1% and I think the usual 2.9% processing.

Inconvénients: Sometimes pages take a while to load because it's an online program. Also, pages open up in new tabs which isn't even that bad to me, I just find myself gathering up 10+ tabs then having to close them all out. Reconciling can be tricky because it's not a conventional reconcile and I find myself going back and forth between pages looking for the mismatch culprits.

Everything You Need for Your Business Books

Publié le 05/04/2019
Igor M.
Design, 2-10 employés
Très faible Très élevée

Commentaires: Very nice and reliable software. I would 100% recommend Wave for small to mid-size businesses. Maybe not the best match for large corporations though (lacking some accounting features).
It does what it is made for! It is FREE! It is great :-)

Avantages: Very easy to use.
Great design and UI/UX
All basic features, required for keeping your books straight.
Fancy easy to use mobile app.
Fancy, modern invoice templates.
Invoice payment by Credit Cards (standard 2.9%) and bank transfers (at only 1%!).
Payroll.
No glitches or any technical issues after a few years of using it!
It is FREE and no Ads!
You can get support from IN-HOUSE! Wave bookkeepers or a consultation with a CPA (paid feature)

Inconvénients: Connection with your bank might give you some duplicate entries (the system creates one entry when invoice gets paid online and pulls up the second one (duplicate) from your bank when funds get deposited). This is not a big problem, just something to watch for.

The free version is great for my needs

Publié le 19/07/2018
Tabitha T.
veterinarian
Vétérinaire, Auto-entrepreneur
Très faible Très élevée

Avantages: I like the simple layout of the software. I also like the iPhone app that allows me to make and send invoices as soon as I finish a job. They've changed the way transactions show up when downloaded from your bank so now I can easily match them to invoices. The simple reports are perfect for my needs. The best part is that it's pretty easy to figure out how to use Wave on a basic level for sole proprietors who have a dozen or so clients.

Inconvénients: Some people might not like the double entry system of accounting. Personally, I've chosen to ignore that feature and simply use the app like a simple transaction register. My accounts don't balance and I don't reconcile with my bank statements. I probably only have 20 or fewer transactions per month so I'm pretty aware of what's going on. If I had to make everything balance, I think the app might be harder to use.

Accounting Without the Fees

Publié le 12/04/2019
Nicholas S.
Police Officer
Administration publique, 51-200 employés
Très faible Très élevée

Commentaires: Overall, it's my Go-To Accounting software for my business and personal reselling. My accountant loves the profit and loss statements, balance sheets, etc. when it comes tax time. They need to be on your list if you're looking for a business or personal option.

Avantages: I've been using Wave long before their new long, Wave Apps update and so much more. What I love about the company and the software is that they continue to improve on and grow the free part of the offering. I use it for my business and my personal reselling business. For both accounts, I don't pay a single dime. They have paid options for Payroll, banking, personal accountants, etc. but I haven't needed to utilize them. I love that the options exist for those that want it. I had previously used GoDaddy Bookeeping, and I'm so glad I don't have to go back. Wave Accounting allows me to sync my PayPal account in for free, and it automatically brings in new transactions as they occurr.

Inconvénients: My only real gripe was that I couldn't sync my bank with them. This was my issue however as I used a local bank that had 5 branches in the country, so it made sense that they didn't have the integration. That bank has now been bought and my new bank syncs without issue!

The best accounting software for startups and freelancers

Publié le 12/10/2018
Sourav K.
Administrator
Enseignement supérieur, Auto-entrepreneur
Très faible Très élevée

Commentaires: This is the only accounting software I use and have used over the years for my business so I could say it has solved a huge business problem for me, Acoounting.

Avantages: The experience with Wave has been awesome. When I first came accross this software I could not believe the fact that they were giving this away for free, everything except the payroll feature of this software was free. Invoicing, unlimited ledgers, journal entries, cashbook, p/l account, balance sheet and beautiful charts to report finances over a period. Being a the owner of a small company and a freelancer Wave has been a life saver against all the expensive accouting software out there.

Inconvénients: To be honest there is nothing I would like to complain about but since I want to unbiased there is just one thing they could improve on and that is the time taken to save new transactions is a bit slow and the UI looks terrible on mobile. That is to say it is not mobile friendly, and they do not have a native application for mobile as well.

Free accounting tools that work!

Publié le 13/09/2017
Sarahgeorge D.
Internet, 2-10 employés
Très faible Très élevée

Commentaires: Saved my from making bad decisions with money as a new business owner and it has simplified my billing process!

Avantages: I love Waveapps recurring billing features. Its easy to set up and easy to manage. Clients can save their credit card or pay by bank draft. I don't have to manage multiple payment setups, I just send an invoice from Waveapps and they pay how they want to. If the customer is in the store I can just process their card by typing in the details. Receipts to my clients and from my spending are just as simple. As well, I get a view on my company and personal finances anytime I need it. There is an app for receipts and for invoicing/payments.

Inconvénients: I would love to be able to produce better reports to provide my accountant with for tax purposes. I would love an app that allowed me to log in to my full account from my phone.

Wave is an outstanding accounting app

Publié le 17/01/2016
Alexander C.
Support client

Commentaires: After many years with Quicken, and some considerable frustration, we were looking to move to a new accounting app. I researched Mint and many others, then came across Wave, which was extremely well reviewed and had extremely high security ratings - a vital factor in accounting software. Wave has been quite literally a breath of fresh air. Cloud based and with the capability not only of linking your bank accounts directly to the software (as strongly encrypted read-only data), one of the major attractions was that you could also choose to upload data from your bank as statements in csv file format, thus not directly linking your accounts at all. With transactions automatically uploaded or synced, verifying them and adding your own categories or individual transaction notes is a breeze. We've had a few questions about how to create new categories and how to split transactions (you create new categories in the Accounting tab, rather than the Transactions tab) and have emailed Wave Support regarding perhaps five or six issues. Each time we received a friendly, full and very clear step by step explanation of what we needed to do. Wave offers a premium version with additional support, which I'm sure is excellent, but replies to our questions regarding the free version have always come within a day or so. I have no complaints at all about the capabilities of Wave, and it makes bookkeeping very fast. The fact that it can be accessed from any computer is a big plus, and means that our accountant can examine any transaction easily, should he need to. The app is very versatile and pleasing to use. We actually look forward to updating our accounts, which was certainly never the case with Quicken. Updating has been seamless, and adding manual entries is easy, too. I would highly recommend Wave. I'm astonished it's free. If it could become an iOS app as well, I would be over the moon - especially if it could incorporate fingerprint recognition security in the manner of SplashID, RobinHood and other vital iPhone apps. Many thanks to the Wave developers and support team. It's an outstanding app and I wish it every success.