Inventor...only 10 years behind

Brandon F.
Engineering Manager
Aviation et industrie aéronautique, 51-200 employés
Très faible Très élevée

Avantages: I like that it's fairly quick to rebuild parts after changing a feature early on in the tree. I like the view cube in the upper right hand corner, very easy to reorient the view any way I want. The measure tool is very useful and easy to use. I really like how easy it is to start and orient a sketch, super simple and intuitive. The hole tool is nice and easy to use, good GUI.

Inconvénients: I don't like:
1. I can't measure between the edges of sketched circles without putting points there to measure from. Why shouldn't I be able to measure the web thickness or specify that as my measurable value? If that's something that's a CTC on my print, then let me spec it, don't tell me it's not "good engineering".
2. Why can't I split/trim projected geometry? You make me import it as a line, so let me trim it like one.
3. When using a feature in a subsequent sketch, why does it make me import that line geometry into my current sketch? Just reference it.
4. If I add a constraint, why not tell me what conflicts and let me delete the conflicting constraint (a la Creo). It's great that you tell me it's overconstraining it, but tell me what the conflicts are.
5. Why do I have to edit a sketch/feature to edit a dimension? I've been able to double click a dimension and edit that dimension in SW and Creo for years.
6. Why do I have to go into the View tab to change the visual style? Make that a floating toolbar in the viewable area (a la Creo).
7. Why don't all circular features, i.e. circles, holes, etc., automatically have an axis that's accessible to later features? It's dumb that I have to insert them...

It is a 3D solid parametric modeling program produced by the software company Autodesk

Publié le 10/07/2018
Mariana M.
Analista Control de Calidad
Très faible Très élevée

Commentaires: In my case being a professional of iNGENIERIA IS OF GREAT BENEFIT BECAUSE Inventor is updated (with the help of users in Inventor Ideas) and improves with each new version
It keeps the user competitive by accessing our latest innovations at the time they are available, along with the
previous versions you need
Configure your products more easily with new functions for assemblies and autocomplete in the rules editor. Work with data from any 3D CAD system while maintaining an associative link

Avantages: It has many tools that are very useful not only in the mechanical area, but also in the design of circuits, in the design of pipelines, etc., that's why I like SW. However, what I like about inventor is that besides being a program where you can make designs (CAD), you can also manufacture them (CAM) and do not need an interface like solidworks to recognize it in a cnc.
Moldflow analysis: because it shows the quality of the pieces during the preliminary design phases and avoids the problems of higher level.
Family mold: this allows the administration of family molds. You can alternate between several charged plastic parts to complete the partition plane design of each core and cavity assembly.
Feed channel and injection point: provides the means to specify the type and location of the injection points, and allows to define the characteristics of shape, size and sketch of the feed channel.
Cooling channel: improves the efficiency of the mold design and simplifies the process of creating complex cooling channels.
Core and cavity design: solves the complex problems of defining the partition plane. The combination of these functions allows the closing of the separation, in addition to the automatic creation of revisions of holes and partition surfaces.
Standard component library and tools: supports a wide range of components from commercial catalog libraries and a component utility to create custom parts.
Automation of the drawing: the automation of the 2D drawing

Inconvénients: Java does not generate code for further deeper developments.
It does not handle much flexibility like code does in Java
It only works with an Internet connection and it is a great disadvantage when you signal it is bad at home or work
It can only be developed for Android
The program has a high cost, due to its license.
Knowing how to fully use the software requires a lot of time since there are many functions, and even that they are of little application, since they are very specific.
It requires a powerful computer to work with processing speed, and a high space on the hard drive

Inventor for Millwork and Tradeshow Documents

Steve G.
Design Engineer
Événementiel, 13-50 employés
Très faible Très élevée

Commentaires: Inventor is a great tool and easy to learn and be productive with. It is not a direct solution for any specific trade other than Sheet Metal, but can be tailored to fit.

Avantages: Inventor is very easy to use to create realistic, solid designs for cabinetry and millwork. I have tailored the software to streamline my creation of repetitive tasks, and it allows me to effectively document my designs quickly and easily. The software allows you to design and see where problems are in real time. My absolute favorite thing is that the drawings created, are always 100% exactly what you've modeled. It is impossible to have a view that does not dimensionally match another view. My experience with CAD systems in the past, is when drawings get revised, if not checked carefully, views can get out of sync with each other and when something is manufactured, the fabricator undoubtedly will ALWAYS pick the incorrect view as the one to follow. Inventor completely eliminates this problem. Last but not least, is that after being an Engineer / Drafter / Project Manager for almost 30 years, learning and using inventor has made designing and drafting fun for me again.

Inconvénients: If there's anything I dislike, is that the software could be more cabinet and millwork friendly without having to purchase an add-on. The drawing sizes and model file sizes can get very large, in some cases I have drawings over 200mb, which can be painfully slow when loading over a network

Excellent capability, decent learning curve for existing CAD/CAM users

Publié le 03/07/2018
Daniel A.
Systems Engineer, Analyst, Machinist
Défense et aérospatiale, 201-500 employés
Très faible Très élevée

Commentaires: Being able to flexibly work on design projects for work, hobbies, and STEM Education and Outreach work is incredibly nice, and linking this capability to much more accessible maker tech really opens new doors for rapid prototyping.

Avantages: Really powerful software, surprisingly resource efficient for use on laptops, and the de facto standard for many uses. With a dedicated CAD rig (or repurposed gaming PC), performance even when dealing with large and complex models is excellent. The design and portability is really quite good, and when coupled with access to CNC machinery and 3D printing capability makes the prototyping process incredibly quick. Currently experimenting with amateur photogrammetry for metrology and rapid design capability (converting clay models or plastic-printing pens), and the toolset is powerful enough to leverage those capabilities quite well. Easy enough to use that high school students can tap many of the advanced capabilities with even limited background.

Inconvénients: For myself as an old school Autodesk user the added capability is impressive, although the UI updates feel a lot like contemporary changes that fixed things which weren't broken in the first place. The biggest headache I have right now is that the install is tedious to reroute, particularly when repurposing existing computers for STEM outreach projects, anything other than the default installation is hard, and often inconsistent. Interfacing with open source tools is actually quite good, but innate support for that is unsurprisingly limited. Still, a really minor complaint, as properly packaged for export files are handled really well with existing CAM workflow and automation in slicing tools for experienced additive manufacturers.

Inventor 2018 Experience

James B.
Principal Engineer
Pétrole et énergies, 51-200 employés
Très faible Très élevée

Commentaires: Overall it's been a positive experience. I will admit I came to Inventor late having stared with competitor products nearly 15 years ago but once you learn the syntax of how the everything is set up it is a smooth transition.

Avantages: The software is easy to use and flows fairly well. The real beauty, especially from a hiring standpoint, is that it works very similar to competition so if you know one package you can quickly pick up on this one. the other thing I really like is the Vault that is included. The ability to work locally, but keep everything stored on a server, makes working with larger models much faster. It also allows a team to work together while keeping files safes and tracking revisions and changes.

Inconvénients: Ever since the first time I used the software my main criticism has always been the inability to select a midpoint of a sketch. This drives me mad and many of us have found complex workarounds to what should be a simple problem. I will also say that setting up mates in an assembly is not always that intuitive. It's great to have many different options but when %100 of the time I only use this specific one it would be great if it would learn that, or allow me to change the default.

Very helpful tool to model components and help visualize real world assemblies.

Publié le 01/08/2018
R&D Engineering Co-OP
Très faible Très élevée

Commentaires: AutoDesk included a modelling and drawing software, as well as a simulation aspect. We use other softwares for other applications so this is the extent of my knowledge with autocad.

Avantages: I have used this product for over 3 years now and couldn't be more satisfied with the product. My team and I use Inventor to model assemblies to be used in real life to help us visualize any potential flaws regarding manufacturing and assembly. The gear tool has allowed us to construct complex gear trains within minutes and simulating the motion has never been easier. To add to that, being able to visualize the motion of the gears through simulation has helped us fix several overlooked flaws in the design, including improper teeth meshing distance and collision with the frame.

Inconvénients: My one complaint with AutoDesk is the pack and go feature. Once, I used it to export my assembly and various part files into a compressed zip file, checking all the correct boxes, and my zip folder was later corrupted. It has only happened once but it cost me a lot of time. It could have been a user error on my part but I have packed and gone since and it has worked fine every other time.

Excellent mechanical design software, extremely efficient and practical.

Publié le 09/06/2018
Lilians C.
Especialista en proyectos de inversión
Très faible Très élevée

Commentaires: It has allowed me to quickly design metal structures in 3D from your library, which has saved me time, in addition to an impeccable finish. Therefore, I consider that it has given effectiveness to my work and my professional life.

Avantages: Mainly it has allowed me to design pieces, machineries, structures and endless figures, creating parameters that streamline the assembly of the models that I have created, since it has a complete library of structural elements that facilitate the task of designing from the elements of the library and can easily be modeled, it is also very easy to create parametric drawings without the need of being an expert in the software, therefore its ease of use unlike other similar packages places it among my favorites when creating my digital prototypes. On the other hand, this software can design metal sheets that meet the most stringent quality standards. I find it interesting that it allows you to create 3D models from DWG files directly from Inventor. In addition to all the advantages I have mentioned, it allows you to export 3D designs to PDF formats, which facilitates printing and displaying them on any computer.

Inconvénients: The main disadvantage that I find to this software is that it requires a very powerful equipment and with certain specific characteristics to be able to use it, since in a conventional machine its use is impossible.

Great software, unmatched design automation!

Publié le 16/07/2018
Shane R.
Design, 13-50 employés
Très faible Très élevée

Commentaires: Model MASSIVE assemblies on not very powerful computers, design and process automation with iLogic.

Avantages: If you have massive assemblies and love to automate processes, inventor is the ticket! This software runs well on computers that would barely be able to open SolidWorks. Huge assemblies (30,000 parts) open and are easily worked on. I can't imagine doing anything if this magnitude in any other software. I regularly use Solidworks, inventor and Pro-E (Creo), and inventor is my go to software for large machines. It's the best feature is iLogic which is a user-friendly programming interface to help you automate simple or complex tasks to save time and reduce errors. It is very similar to Visual Basic for applications, but you do not need to be a programmer to figure this out!

Inconvénients: There is no global sheet scale in drawings and therefor no way to link a view scale to the title block in a drawing. It must be filled out manually.

Solid 3d CAD platform with an entourage of compatible software

Lee J.
Mechanical Engineer
Automatisation industrielle, 501-1 000 employés
Très faible Très élevée

Commentaires: We left Pro/E Wildfire 4.0 in 2013 as Creo originally wasn't all that stellar. We switched to Inventor and all-in-all have been pretty satisfied. Performance was an issue early on, but this has been addressed with multi-core support.

Avantages: That drawings are DWG file formats, so no conversions necessary to open in AutoCAD. The ability to customize with marking menus, keyboard shortcuts, rearranging ribbons, and macros with VBA.

Inconvénients: It acts up sometimes with sketch references (even when limited to one part), but there has been continuous improvements in this area. Edits to parts can take time as the workflow is to either open part up and make changes, or edit in place but still open up feature to make changes. However, I created a VBA form and macro that allows me to see relative parameters to a feature to make quick changes at the assembly level. Multi-core support took too long to be offered, but thankfully it now is utilized.

Inventor 19

Victor L.
Sr Mechanical Engineer
Aviation et industrie aéronautique, 13-50 employés
Très faible Très élevée

Commentaires: My experience with Inventor has been very good from a modeling perspective. I have not found anything our company designs that could not model.

Avantages: Inventor is easy to use with plenty of modeling power to do most any job a company has. I have not found any parts our company uses that Inventor could not model quickly and accurately.

Inconvénients: Random crashes doing normal activities. Some functionality can be a little difficult to figure out why the feature fails to modify. Especially when you can create the feature from scratch successfully. Seems to be missing some functionality I was used to with SolidWorks especially in the assembly constraints but that may be due to lack of training. BOM control can be tricky I found out recently. Again this may be caused by a lack of training.

BEST MODELING SOFTWARE I HAVE USED

Chris S.
Exhibit Engineer
Design, 13-50 employés
Très faible Très élevée

Commentaires: It makes showing a customer exactly what their final product will look like and function like, very easy for them to understand. Customers are more easily put at ease when they can see exactly what their final product will look like and not just a rendering.

Avantages: It is so user friendly and seems to be made by people who do things logically. You can teach someone the basics in a couple of hours and be very proficient in a couple of weeks.

Inconvénients: If you can't find what you're looking for online or in the help files it can be hard to make changes easily. They can still be made just not automatically if you can't figure out the default setting to change. If it had a way to add custom textures and styles to the appearance menu for original styles that would be helpful.

3D Parts Creation with Logic

Exploitation minière et métaux, 51-200 employés
Très faible Très élevée

Avantages: The software is easy to use and is made extremely powerful with iLogic. iLogic enables you to create multiple variations of a part with programming logic and variables. Objects are created based on dimensions so, if you change the width, everything based on the width changes to accommodate the new width. So if you have several parts that are basically the same with small variations, you can create a bunch of different parts by simply changing the variables.

Inconvénients: The one thing I don't like about the software is that in order to reference the midpoint of a line in sketch mode, you have to place a point on the midpoint. Then you can use the midpoint as a basis for other dimensions.

Best modelling sodtware

Publié le 22/07/2019
Upendra D.
Génie mécanique ou industriel, 13-50 employés
Très faible Très élevée

Commentaires: Inventor is very helpful for my business as I want to create the solid models of my new product ideas. Inventor allowa me to modell those ideas with perfect finishing. I can use these modells to express my ideas to my workers and customers. Though there are many modelling softwares, surface finishing in Inventor is exceptional. The modells look very attractive, colourful and realistic. I recommend Inventor for any solid modelling purpose.

Avantages: Finishing
Tools
User interface
Reliability

Inconvénients: Nothing. This is the best modelling software with best finished look of the models.

Why I like Inventor

Wayne O.
Sr. Cad Design
Produits laitiers, 13-50 employés
Très faible Très élevée

Commentaires: I work in for a process engineering company, so it helps to be able when building my Plant 3D drawings to be able to design the specialty equipment in Inventor to import into Plant to be able to visualize how it will actually look in the facilities we build.

Avantages: The thing I like most about Inventor is the ease of use. I came from a SolidWorks background and was able to jump right in and start working with Inventor with very little instruction. The interface is easy to understand and there is plenty of help videos and white papers on the Autodesk website to help you out if you get stuck.

Inconvénients: Inventor has crashed on me a couple of times, but that was remedied with a patch.

A great but expensive tool

Publié le 28/11/2017
Manuel alberto M.
Project Engineer
Génie mécanique ou industriel, 13-50 employés
Très faible Très élevée

Commentaires: It's easier to create the piping system in Inventor than it is to create it in Solidworks. The rules-based routing tools allow to select the correct fittings and helps ensure that they comply with the industry standards. I can also import it to other files easily if I need it.

Avantages: I use this to create elements for 3D models of marketing activations activations. This is a simple and user friendly 3D modeling tool. to add, once you learn this tool it the interface carries throughout other autodesk programs.

Inconvénients: The price of it is a bit expensive. A single license can cost about 7,000. Regardless of cost, the Inventor doesn't have symmetry check. The symmetry would also the user to find whether the part is symmetric at all or the axis in which it is symmetric about. This would be helpful for users running FEA analysis and want to reduce the run down time.

I've been using 3d software since 2001

Publié le 18/01/2018
Jeffrey L.
Secretary/Treasurer
Machines, 13-50 employés
Très faible Très élevée

Commentaires: Being able to re-use existing 3d parts in new projects without having to re-make the part every time.

Avantages: I use this software for creating custom-made equipment that is unique to each customer. The ability to store a single part with multiple configurations built into the part's file saves me considerable time. I also use the pipe routing part of the software and have had very little issues when using it.

Inconvénients: Every time I have to migrate the Vault part of the software, I have to pay my distributor come set it up for me, because YOU ALWAYS have some type of issue when migrating the vault. This wouldn't be too bad if my distributor was close, but when they are over 200 miles away it becomes costly.
I also have a gripe with having to pay my distributor an additional cost to support the Autodesk software. Not sure if the other 3d software companies have the same support setup, but in my mind, if your paying this kind of money for software shouldn't you have access to the software developer itself?

Fundamental for my carpentry business, it is the best 3D parametric design program

Publié le 21/03/2018
Donaldo S.
Presidente
Très faible Très élevée

Commentaires: In the carpentry we design in 3d before proceeding to the making of furniture which saves us money and materials because we can correct any detail before making the furniture

Avantages: It allows me to represent solids such as wood, I can do from simulations of opening and closing drawers, to schematizations of installation plans, which I can represent as 3d solids, this helps me visualize how the design of the furniture will be before build them.

Inconvénients: When you start using the program you need to document a lot and see many tutorials, because you have many tools that you should know to get the most out of the software.

Inventor is a very powerful 3d design tool. In comparison to Solidworks tool, it is friendlier.

Publié le 25/07/2018
Darwin reynell N.
Líder de Proyectos
Très faible Très élevée

Commentaires: The Mechanical Design is an iterative process with many interactive phases. You can improve the design and making it efficient. I think this software, Inventor, allows me as a mechanical engineer to apply my knowledge and do my work under a specific methodology that leads me to a quality design. It is a powerful mechanical design tool.

Avantages: Have the opportunity to do each of the design of your pieces and then assemble them. It allows you to evaluate every detail in the design process. The 3D design allows you to be focused on what is really important, the design. Every year the tool innovates and introduces you to new functions that make your work a little easier. Once your designs are ready, you can use the 3D printer and manufacture a particular piece. So it allows you a quick "design-fabrication" process.

Inconvénients: The more pieces you add to your assembly, the computer gets a little slow. In that sense, a large capacity team is required.

Inventor 2019

Ryan W.
Mechanical Engineer
Machines, 13-50 employés
Très faible Très élevée

Commentaires: I've been using Inventor professionally for 7 years now. The software has made my job much simpler as a machine designer.

Avantages: Overall design environment. BOM features are very nice. iLogic is a very useful feature

Inconvénients: A dark mode option would be very nice. Staring at the white menus all day can create some eye strain. AutoCAD has a nice dark theme.
The iLogic event triggers need to include "print"
Chamfer tools can act a little funny at times when dealing with complex geometry

Inventor is the most intuitive CAD software that I have ever used. Almost everything is visual

Publié le 08/09/2017
Andrew M.
Mechanical Engineering Intern
Génie mécanique ou industriel, 5 001-10 000 employés

Commentaires: Beautifully rendered complex models

Avantages: I have used mostly inventor and and Solidworks. Inventor is a lot more closely linked to the visual environment. The "snap-to's" are stronger (eg they suck in your cursor more easily) and I really like that. Also I found that it was a lot easier to design parts into assemblies.
ABOVE ALL I like the Grip-Snap feature for moving parts in the assembly. I also love how you can animate the assemblies. I haven't seen other CAD Programs that can do that.
The material renderings also look a lot better in Inventor.

Inconvénients: It is really hard to import things into inventor (eg. STL files and other CAD file types. I would often use Solidworks to do my importing and save it as a file type that works better in Inventor. I also really like the mechanical mates that you can do In solidworks. It was harder to do those mates in Inventor assemblies. I also found that Inventor was more likely to crash my computer than Solidworks.

Usage of Inventor

Publié le 08/06/2019
Tharindu P.
Student
Fabrication électrique/électronique, 501-1 000 employés
Très faible Très élevée

Commentaires: Overall I can recommend that this the best software for designers to make their work easy.

Avantages: As an engineering student this is very useful software to me in my designing projects.There are lot of features include with this software.Due to that we can get better outcome by using this software. Inventor has very friendly and smooth 3D interface as well.

Inconvénients: The only problem that I can see in this software is it takes some considerable time to load.

CAD Manager

Génie mécanique ou industriel, 51-200 employés
Très faible Très élevée

Commentaires: We use our models for everything from prototyping 3D printe models to rendering for marketing.
Love the software and it's many uses

Avantages: User friendliness. Easy to train employees on the many different features Inventor has, from modeling to documenting the models with drawings, and rendering for our parts catalog to rendering hi-resolution files for offset printng.

Inconvénients: Can not export/import custom materials to a spreadsheet to verify the accuracy and make changes

Review Autodesk Inventor

Publié le 29/01/2019
Nemanja J.
ing.Mech
Automobile, 2-10 employés
Très faible Très élevée

Commentaires: I use Inventor more 4 year. I start in inventor 2016, and I make reinstal to 2018. I'm very satisfied user. All recommended for this software.

Avantages: I like this software because is easy to use, user interface is very frendly and most used tool is on front of you.

Inconvénients: All what you need in one product, if you want simulation stres, you have, if you want make simple orcompplicated 3D model some mechanical parts or something, inventor has easy to make thet.

MOST ADAPTIVE CAD SOFTWARE

Publié le 23/10/2018
Mitchell P.
Production Engineer
Machines, 201-500 employés
Très faible Très élevée

Commentaires: I have had a extremely positive experience with Inventor, I was originally a solidworks user, but now that I have switched it is difficult to go back!

Avantages: The flexibility iLogic gains you in this software is an absolute must when working on bigger assemblies. Also, with a 2D background, adding on the 3rd dimension has a logical flow compared to other programs.

Inconvénients: its not supported by many 3rd party solutions for processing structural steel out of the box

Great software, easy to use and very intuitive.

Publié le 13/02/2018
European Technical Outsourcing Manager
Machines, 201-500 employés
Support client

Avantages: Easy to use Interface and button layout. The commands are clearly spelt out and even give you a quick tutorial glimpse of what the command or button does when you hover your mouse arrow over it for a few seconds.

Inconvénients: Like any software, crashes can occur. You have to be sure that you keep up-to-date on all patches and services packs for your Autodesk Products to ensure you have the best experience while using their software.