IronCAD for Industrial Machine Design

George H.
Engineering Manager
Machines, 13-50 employés
Très faible Très élevée

Commentaires: We are using IronCAD for all our machine design. We began our transition from 2D CAD to a well known 3D CAD competitor but ran into roadblocks with cost and implementation. We found IronCAD and have rapidly moved forward with 3D design for fabrication and marketing.

Avantages: Ease of use, cost, intuitive drag and drop design process, easy part catalogs, easy setup, parts can be stored in single assembly file, awesome customer support, company is open to user input and actively improving the product based on feedback

Inconvénients: User base is smaller than competitors with less help online, a little difficult for users of competitor's 3D CAD software to make the transition to IronCAD's workflow (but they love it once they figure it out)

envoyé par IronCAD le 25/06/2019

Thank you George for the positive review on IronCAD and how it is being used in your machine design process!

Iron Clad and IronCAD

Publié le 08/07/2019
Brian J.
Chief Solutions Officer
Automobile, Auto-entrepreneur
Temps d'utilisation du produit: 6 à 12 mois
Très faible Très élevée

Commentaires: For my needs, I was looking for a simple tool to import geometry to provide design assessment and to review assemblies for functional GD&T proposals. I didn't need a drawing (2D) capability at the time. So this tool has exceeded my expectations. It has allowed me to provide alternative concepts on designs I'm reviewing. I'm so happy I made this choice and may be looking to upgrade to try more advanced capabilities.

Avantages: It was fairly simple to learn. My previous trained and professional experience had been CATIA V4 and V5. Ideas, SolidWorks and NX, and was able to pick up on the methodology very quickly. It is intuitive and fairly straight forward. A wide variety of import and export options come standard. It opens large assemblies quick and efficiently. The ability to manipulate imported (non-native) geometry is really great and time-saving. I love the ability to drag and drop basic and advanced geometry into the design.

Inconvénients: Occasionally It will crash and close down but most of the time when I asked it to do something extraordinarily difficult. Rarely for no reason, but it does occasionally.
I wish I could create Datum Planes to use for section cutting and mirroring geometry. I know I can achieve without them, but to me, it would be more intuitive.

envoyé par IronCAD le 10/07/2019

Thank you for the review Brian!

Disappointing for a Premium Price

Publié le 04/07/2019
Leland P.
President/CEO
Automatisation industrielle, 2-10 employés
Très faible Très élevée

Commentaires: I bought IronCAD because I didn't realize that Dassault offered a perpetual license for SolidWorks. I also know that S/W is unstable with models over a certain size (10,000 parts, I think) and was hoping that I/C was more able to handle large models. It crashed consistently with the large model I loaded, though. I've since discovered that I can buy a perpetual licenses of SolidWorks FOR THE SAME PRICE and am therefore standardizing on SolidWorks for my engineering firm. I was really looking forward to supporting an underdog and helping you displace SolidWorks with a superior product. Given that you're charging the same price as Dassault and mimicking their student license program, though, it seems that your Product Managers don't realize how far you have to go. I bought a student license and then bought a full license to do commercial work. This has turned into a very expensive test drive.

Avantages: The Triball is great. Drag-and-Drop concepting/design is great. The interface is far more intuitive than PTC Creo. Being able to reorder objects in the model tree without crashing the model. The complementary IronCAD Compose is fabulous. The student licensing program was fantastic before it was turned into a subscription-based model.

Inconvénients: It was quite expensive, considering the lack of maturity in the product. I started a bug list but then stopped because there were so many. The parametric architecture is fractured and disjointed. Dimensioning in the 2D drawing module is too erratic to be usable. Dimensions in the 3D module hide by default and it's hit-or-miss as to which object to activate to show a placed dimension. Not being able to export to sldasm or sldprt with the translator was an unexpected and stunning deficiency considering the price I paid for the Translator. Having the file format change right after I purchased the software and NOT BE BACKWARD-COMPATIBLE was almost a death blow to my continuation as an IronCAD user since it prevents me from adding seats without complications or extra expense of upgrading. It was a bit galling to see the heavily-discounted price offers right after I paid a higher price, and I now see that you tricked your new users into buying a soon-to-be-obsolete version. Being barred from having an account in the forum simply because I chose to purchase a perpetual license and no maintenance plan was quite a slap in the face. The single-project-file structure isn't particularly valuable (S/W has the Pack-and-Go feature). It actually complicates CAD library management. The Help file is terrible. Most entries simply describe the labels that are already readily-visible on a given dialogue box. Example: "LOAD Button: Click this button to load <the file, object, etc.>."

IronCAD is powerful and easier to learn than most.

Publié le 08/07/2019
Rob H.
Owner / Designer
Design, Auto-entrepreneur
Temps d'utilisation du produit: plus de deux ans
Très faible Très élevée

Commentaires: The problem I solve with IronCAD is the ability to create fast and accurate non-organic models. I can make a mechanical part model faster than I can in 3ds Max and I can generally modify it much faster. Plus, if you model correctly, you can make huge changes to a part and have it ripple through the whole part. That's a powerful feature.

Avantages: The learning curve is not as steep as other CAD software. I tried a few before I chose IronCAD. I've been doing 3D Design for 25-years in 3ds Max which is a different workflow from a parametric software. I was afraid that it would take too much time to learn a new program. I was pleased to find out I could make accurate and complex models during my first week of diving in. It didn't take months to get up to speed.

Inconvénients: As intuitive as IronCAD is, there are still a number of functions that are convoluted and confusing. Simple things like placing an image on a face is a strange process. There are a few other things that are confusing to someone who didn't grow up on parametric software.

envoyé par IronCAD le 09/07/2019

Thanks for the review Rob!

IronCAD Is Fantastic

Publié le 15/07/2019
Jeff P.
Art/artisanat, 2-10 employés
Très faible Très élevée

Commentaires: I purchased IronCAD to design the first product for my company. Without it, my creation would have never come to life. I was able to teach myself how to use IronCAD with ease and create a ready for manufacture product that I have now brought to the market. I highly recommend this over other CAD programs especially AutoCAD and would suggest anyone looking to design products from complex to simple to check out IronCAD and give it a try first!

Avantages: Ease of use
Relative Low Cost
Powerful tools/features

Inconvénients: None, IronCAD did exactly what I needed it to and was not lacking for my use purposes, hard to believe I know. I guess a con could be it doesn't have any features for architecture, but that isn't what I need it for so it doesn't bother me.

envoyé par IronCAD le 16/07/2019

Hi Jeff, Thank you for the review. I'm glad to see that IronCAD helped bring your creation to life!

It is a tool designed for mechanical design, efficient and effective, easy to learn and good support

Publié le 03/06/2018
Jorge L.
Docente
1 001-5 000 employés
Très faible Très élevée

Commentaires: In the educational area I have used it to generate specific mechanical pieces in the design of corn thresher, mills, etc. This gives the students a wide range of options that contribute to enrich their training and selection of software for future designs.

Avantages: The software allows users to choose between a parametric, direct mode or a combination of both modalities in a single environment. This allows designers to freely explore design ideas and create models dynamically on the screen without having to pre-plan and plot the concept in advance.

Inconvénients: There is little information, which makes it difficult to understand how some program tools work more efficiently, this makes one take more time to design the elements or pieces.

IronCAD has easy-to-use tools that allow a high production in the development of projects for you!!!

Publié le 19/04/2018
Sofia C.
ingeniero industrial
Temps d'utilisation du produit: 1 à 5 mois
Très faible Très élevée

Avantages: The dual programming nature of this software allows working with solids created in both ACIS format and Parasolid format, exchanging and / or using any of them indiscriminately, which allows it to handle a large number of files imported and exported from different CAD programs of the market

Inconvénients: IronCAD has many features that will help you design complex models quickly and efficiently. excellent software