Middle school science teacher for 5 years; Instructional Technology Facilitator for 2 hears

Publié le 08/02/2018
Shane P.
Instructional Technology Facilitator
Gestion de l'enseignement
Support client

Avantages: Nearpod is a high-quality, user-friendly, reliable presentation program that could be a valuable asset in every teachers classroom. There is a fee, but it's definitely worth the investment individually or at the school-wide level. For starters, it's easy to create slide decks, but what's amazing is that these presentations can be pushed to student devices or phones instantly and with ease. Students can then follow along and interact with the instructor. Other types of presentations can easily be converted and used within NearPod, too, so you don't have to reinvent good material. Just upload and begin pushing to students with ease. Next, audio and video files can be dropped in to decks which enables students to interact with the multimedia individually or in groups. Beyond that, and perhaps my favorite feature is the ability to collect real-time feedback from students through a wide variety of question types/formats. This enables the presenter to pace the lesson appropriately, follow-up with anyone who may be struggling, or engage students in conversation or clarifications based on the feedback. Next, NearPod has a database of phenomenal content available to educators. Large amounts are free. Some of the content even offers VR360 opportunities for students who are using capable devices. Last, I just appreciate that they are committed to improving their product - always taking steps forward, listening to user concerns, offering loudly support, and advancing.

Inconvénients: It would be great if they could add on some sort of homework feature for students who may not have access to WiFi. I know they are exploring several potentials here, and I think they'll figure out a solution, but this would be helpful for flipping the classroom in Title One environments.

Catholic emelentary use of nearpod

Publié le 19/06/2019
Renee H.
computer science teacher
Institutions religieuses, 201-500 employés
Très faible Très élevée

Commentaires: The product is so unique and fun that the students enjoy learning. There are so many academic benefits that I don't think I have enough room to list them all. It can be used in every classroom for all ages and subjects. I even got the school counselors using it with the middle school kids. Like any product, it takes time to make it your own, but it is time well spent.

Avantages: I am able to take control of the student's computer screen so they are unable to move ahead or fall behind. I am able to see each student's answer as they submit it. If I want to I can share all responses or select the responses that work for the lesson. I see what each person is doing on their desktop or laptop computer. It saves the data and I can use it to triangulate future data. The students LOVE it and always ask if we can "do a nearpod" today.

Inconvénients: It took me days to purchase a subscription and they tried to "upsell" me and I hate that. I just want to be able to order a subscription online. Instead, I had to call and get transferred, then their system was down and they could not process my credit card. They asked me to call back so I did and it still did not work. I only had the school credit card for a few hours and I was trying to teach. It should not have been so difficult. I almost quit trying but I really really wanted to use the product because it is amazing.

An excellent interactive tool for teaching and learning

Publié le 30/11/2019
Senior Learning Technologist
Enseignement supérieur, 201-500 employés
Très faible Très élevée

Commentaires: We use Nearpod to promote active learning in our teachers and trainers. It has enabled our tutors to get meaningful engagement in a variety of audience sizes (large lectures and small groups). The fact that it works reliably on students' devices both on the web and dedicated app makes it easy for learners to engage with.

Avantages: Nearpod provides a seamless means of both presenting content and embedding interactions for learners to engage with on their own mobile devices. The variety of interactions is wide, allowing for all kinds of ways for students to engage. The set is growing all the time, e.g. the new 3D graphics function is very welcome! The ability to embed PowerPoint slides is very helpful (paid-for plans only) and the in-built slide content design toolset has really grown over the years to become much more viable. The paid-for plans also provide access to many other libraries of existing content.

Inconvénients: The lover level paid-for plans are quite limited in the number of active users and the fact that >200 concurrent users requires a custom enterprise plan may put off smaller, not-for-profit organisations. It would be good to have larger audience users available in the lower tier plans.

Replaces the Projector

Publié le 22/10/2019
Jonathan K.
Gestion de l'enseignement, 2-10 employés
Très faible Très élevée

Commentaires: This is a great product and Nearpod's customer service it great too!

Avantages: What a great product! I love Nearpod because the students can see, up close my notes and videos, on their own screen! And I can control the slides!

Inconvénients: I would like Nearpod to be more user-friendly for my students to do a group project or even an individual project.

Nearpod

Publié le 26/07/2019
Don L.
Très faible Très élevée

Commentaires: I used this product because my school site bought us a license. I had used Pear Deck previously which is a similar software. In my opinion Pear deck is much easier to use and the students enjoy using it more as well.

Avantages: It makes boring powerpoints more interactive. You can engage students by asking questions throughout the lesson and see their responses on your screen. There is also a library of pre-existing lessons ready to use.

Inconvénients: The pre-made lessons didn't really fit my needs and creating your own Nearpod presentation from scratch is extremely time consuming. During the lesson it is difficult to go back and forth between the presentation and checking student responses.

An absolute MUST for classrooms with technology

Publié le 06/09/2019
Megan R.
Gestion de l'enseignement, 1 001-5 000 employés
Très faible Très élevée

Avantages: Nearpod has made my job (I'm a teacher) so much easier!! I love how Nearpod offers student paced lessons or teacher led lessons. This is a great way to differentiate instruction and allow students to work at their own pace. I have used Nearpod in my classroom and during staff meetings. It's very easy to use and there are several lessons you can use if you don't want to make your own. Students can also use this as a presentation tool!

Inconvénients: I do wish there was a way that I could switch from teacher led to student paced throughout my presentation.

Mindblowing!

Publié le 19/07/2019
Aileen M.
Tutor
Très faible Très élevée

Avantages: As a remote teacher, this is as good as it gets. Real-time assessment/feedback, usability is top notch, built-in questions are great, and the clean look and design is just a dream to use.

Inconvénients: This is a costly product. You can be sure you get what you pay for, however.

Great Resource to Supplement Curriculum

Publié le 22/10/2019
Rebecca C.
Instructional Coach
Temps d'utilisation du produit: 6 à 12 mois
Très faible Très élevée

Commentaires: Overall, the lessons were engaging and well made! This was a great resource to have and use to supplement, introduce, or review specific topics.

Avantages: I love how many different lessons are available for all grade levels and all topics. It allowed me to find specific resources that meet the various needs of the students in my classroom. I love the ease of assigning these lessons OR using them to guide my teaching. The live version to use allows you to be in control of each slide and when it moves from one to the other, I love this function because it keeps my students on track and focused while allowing me to manage their engagement and use.

Inconvénients: One thing I did not specifically like is that some of the lessons really should only be done as a live version but they still had the option to have the students complete it on their own. This caused confusion with specific sections that needed to be discussed aloud or done together. I think it would have been helpful if there was a way of knowing this beforehand.

Engaging and Scaffolding curriculum!

Publié le 27/09/2019
Rachel P.
Très faible Très élevée

Avantages: Let me start by saying I am such an advocate for Nearpod! Want a student centered lesson? Nearpod! Want room for collaboration and student involvement? Nearpod! Want student paced lessons and immediate scores on quizzes? Nearpod! I also love that there are lessons already made you can buy if you're feeling lazy or don't want to reinvent the wheel.

Inconvénients: What I don't like about this is the price - with the free version you only are able to save a few lessons, and don't have access to most of the interactive aspects. When I had a school account, it was amazing! But unfortunately, I don't think it is worth the high price. The free version is great!

The idea behind it is great

Publié le 09/12/2019
Keri C.
Gestion de l'enseignement, 5 001-10 000 employés

Commentaires: Our Digital Citizenship lessons were pushed out to us via Nearpod

Avantages: I love the concept of being able to control their screens; however, they know ways around it

Inconvénients: My students do not enjoy Nearpod lessons

Big fan of Nearpod for Education

Publié le 13/09/2018
Shane P.
Instructional Technology Facilitator
Gestion de l'enseignement, 501-1 000 employés
Très faible Très élevée

Commentaires: All in all, I'm a big fan. I recommend it in the classroom and strongly suggest teachers explore using it. You must be in one-to-one setting.

Avantages: I'm a big fan of Nearpod when giving presentations. Here are the pros I see:
- Allows students to become active participants in their education. Presenting instructional content is engaging with Nearpod, not just a one-way conversation.
- You have the ability to check for understanding with built-in questions.
- They have a ton of free resources that are great.
- Real-time assessment/feedback.
- They've even offered VR field trips that you can take your students on.
- It's easy to learn how to use it, navigate, and build presentations.
- You can also easily upload presentations from other platforms.

Inconvénients: While I feel that the pros outweigh the cons, here are some problems I see:
- It is completely based on your wifi. If you have a weak internet, then Nearpod will be slow and lagging. If you add a lot of students to a presentation, it can also significantly slow down. (Although I realize that this is not necessarily Nearpod's fault - it is worth noting.)
- Even though you can check for understanding in real-time, you cannot do so anonymously. It would be nice if you can anonymously assess students from time-to-time.
- The subscription is steep - some may think it's worth it and the features are great, but it comes with a price that is a bit much.
- The coolness factor will eventually wear off with students.

Nearpod is one of the easiest ways to engage students while presenting information.

Publié le 07/06/2017
Hope E.
Instructional Technology Coach
Très faible Très élevée

Commentaires: Turns normal "sit and get" lessons into interactive and engaging activities for students. It has been very easy to use and easy to show others how to use it.

Avantages: Nearpod has a library of pre-made lessons that teachers may use. Some are free, but others have a minimal cost. Nearpod is free to use, but the free version does have limited capabilities. The great thing about Nearpod is they offer you a 6 month trial if you complete a few steps and become a Nearpod Certified Educator. This process is extremely easy and it helps you to get to know the product. One of the best features is that you can use PowerPoints that you already have. You simply upload them, and then insert your activities. It is very intuitive and easy to use.
Another great feature is that they are constantly adding features. This company listens to it's customers and they are always making their product better.

Inconvénients: The only complaint is that it is hard to find what you are looking for in their store. Sometime you have to try multiple searches to get a "hit".

Instruction Made Easy

Publié le 15/02/2019
Allison D.
Music Teacher
Très faible Très élevée

Avantages: I love how you can use just about any type of media with a Nearpod presentation. You are able to design directly in Nearpod with the slides or you can upload presentations from Microsoft or Google files.

Inconvénients: I do experiencing some issues with saving from time to time. Nearpod does not seem to function well if you have more than 1 presentation in edit mode. Sometimes I like to work side by side to double check both presentations follow the same format. Unfortunately this means that Nearpod does not always save my work.

Nearpod in the classroom

Publié le 03/05/2019
James C.
Deputy Principal and Grade 6 Teacher
Très faible Très élevée

Commentaires: Overall, the interactive nature of Nearpod makes lessons engaging and fun for the pupils. The teacher is able to receive and give instant feedback to their students.

Avantages: Nearpod is a very useful alternative to PowerPoint presentations that keep your students active in the lesson. Nearpod uses a basic PowerPoint presentation which is displayed on the pupils devices but gives you the option to add questions or make students draw on a diagram making it interactive. The teacher has a dashboard whereby you can view all your pupils responses and then single out responses to display for further discussion.

Inconvénients: Making a presentation from scratch on the Nearpod site can be time consuming but if you already have a PowerPoint presentation that you can upload and then add to it, it is much better. Unfortunately, any animations in your original PowerPoint will be lost.

Self-Paced and Interactive Presentations

Publié le 21/11/2018
Nick A.
District Staff Development Coordinator
Très faible Très élevée

Commentaires: Overall, it has done what I needed and allows me to control a presentation or push out some fun interactive elements to help keep students on their toes and assess quickly and efficiently.

Avantages: Love the ability to create presentations or upload presentations I have previously created into NearPod and insert more interactive elements within them. There is a variety of question types and features. One really useful note is that you can control the presentation on your end, but have students or those attending your session view a different screen. This feature is great when designing virtual guided tours. I also appreciate that NearPod has integrated itself with Schoology LMS. Big bonus.

Inconvénients: Honestly I don't have too much. The one gripe I have is that this is a great tool to enhance interaction and engagement, but relies on teacher-led instruction at the forefront. With a push toward self-directed/personalized learning, this may be a drawback. But this is a good tool to get you started with tech integration, or move toward VR as an element to your classroom.

Interactive Presentation App for Multiple Learning Intelligences

Publié le 25/01/2019
Sr. brittany H.
Chair of the Theology Department
Très faible Très élevée

Commentaires: I am happy I have this resource to use in my classroom. I wish I had more time to develop more lessons.

Avantages: I have been a Nearpod user since 2012 (almost the beginning). I have seen the program evolve over time into a more and more dynamic platform for teachers to update their presentations and add interactive elements like polls, quizzes, virtual 360 tours, videos, audio, and worksheets. The pre-made presentations that come with a site license can be a huge time saver.

Inconvénients: With time, Nearpod has become more expensive. As a small school, we have had to make sacrifices to afford the site license. It can be hard getting faculty to feel comfortable using it because it is a new way of approaching presentations, but those who adopt them enjoy using it. It does require a time investment to build a lesson in Nearpod, but they are sharable and reusable.

Nearpod's games make studying fun for students

Publié le 20/11/2018
Ross M.
COO
Gestion d'organisme à but non lucratif, 51-200 employés
Très faible Très élevée

Commentaires: Nearpod is very good for introducing and presenting material to a group of people.

Avantages: Nearpod has a fun drawing feature that allows students to be creative while answering questions. Nearpod is an interactive studying experience that allows teachers to view the knowledge of the students while allowing fun studying games. Some features are similar to Quizlet such as matching and the quiz feature. It is used in my child's Spanish class to help the students comprehend new vocabulary words.

Inconvénients: I overall like this software, but sometimes it lags a little when people are submitting assignments. I wish there was a fullscreen feature on computers so that people are able to see it better. I feel like Quizlet is more helpful for studying, but Nearpod is very efficient on introducing new material.

Engaging Students with Nearpod

Publié le 05/02/2019
Instructional Technology Coach
Très faible Très élevée

Commentaires: We pay for a Nearpod subscription in our district. We have unlimited access to the content library. This is our 3rd year using Nearpod and it has greatly increased student engagement.

Avantages: Nearpod allows teachers to take normal presentations and change them into engaging lessons. They are constantly adding new features and they have a library of pre-made content. My teachers love Nearpod and it has changed the classroom experience.

Inconvénients: For what it offers, the price is reasonable but it is still a little steep for some districts.

Teaching hand in hand with technology

Publié le 12/01/2019
Silfrido G.
Instructor
E-learning, 501-1 000 employés
Temps d'utilisation du produit: Essai gratuit
Très faible Très élevée

Commentaires: Very good with the classes and live webinars.

Avantages: I like the methodology used as teaching in the hand of technology, its audio and video tools, the facility to create interactive virtual classes with interaction of the student population adjusted to the programmatic content, the evaluation of the contents in optimal time, as well as the follow-up of the students.

Inconvénients: The only limitation I see is the connection to the Internet, because the higher the level of technology, the greater the dependence on an optimal connection to the Internet. The rest are the benefits that I can comment on.

Best software to enhance student engagement

Publié le 02/08/2019
Marius V.
e-Learning designer
Enseignement supérieur, 51-200 employés
Temps d'utilisation du produit: 6 à 12 mois
Très faible Très élevée

Commentaires: It helped us to improve student engagement in a flipped classroom teaching strategy. Please buy the license and start using it. You will not regret it.

Avantages: Easy to use.
Student paced mode enables you to make your presentation, a homework assignment with questions.
Great for Formative assessment.
VR and 3D images
Very good analytical data of every session

Inconvénients: Nothing. It's really amazing. A bit pricey, but worth every cent.

Nearpod Revioew

Publié le 29/11/2018
Jj S.
Teacher/Coach
Enseignement primaire et secondaire, 51-200 employés
Très faible Très élevée

Commentaires: Overall I would recommend Nearpod to people who do not want to have to reinvent the wheel when looking for ways to present new information to a class. Great in a 1 to 1 or lecture style classroom.

Avantages: - They have a pretty extensive library of preexisting activities featuring a variety of topics.
- Compatible with 1 to 1 classrooms through a variety of classroom programs (google classroom, canvas, etc.)
- Great for introducing new topics in the classroom
- Great for whole class instruction

Inconvénients: - I wish it had a way of compiling student results for each question
- Not all information in the presentations is relevant to what the students may need to know. You can edit the activity though to fit your needs.
- Have not found it to be useful for individual student activities

Get Closer to Success with Nearpod

Publié le 26/07/2019
Ayesha A.
Substitute Teacher
Gestion de l'enseignement, 501-1 000 employés
Très faible Très élevée

Avantages: What I liked most about this software is that it includes a variety of interactive features that include built-in assessments. It's beneficial for elementary school educators like me who desire to enhance their teaching and students' learning.

Inconvénients: What I liked least about this software is that it loads slowly if there are many users viewing your lesson. Nearpod is also not available to access offline.

One of the Best EDTECH Apps Around- If you have fund for one app, pick this one!

Publié le 17/07/2019
Amber H.
Direc tor
Très faible Très élevée

Avantages: Nearpod has improved SO much over the past five years and really takes the feedback from teachers to heart. In large classrooms, it can sometimes be hard to hear from all students and Nearpod truly gives every one a voice! From polls to controlling the pace of the presentation, to quizzes and drawing, there are some many features to help bring content to life, while checking for understanding along the way.

Inconvénients: Sometimes it is not clear what features are included with a premium subscription and what are not. Users are given a free trial when creating their account, and I think this can be misleading as users may then believe these features are also included.

Nearpod Review

Publié le 08/12/2016
Jennifer H.
Educational Technology Coordinator
Très faible Très élevée

Commentaires: The teachers at my school love using Nearpod. We have some new teachers that are anxious to get on board as well. It's a great way to keep the students engaged, and take virtual field trips without even leaving the classroom.

Avantages: There are a ton of published Nearpod lessons waiting for you to use, edit, and share. It's fairly easy to use when you're ready to create your own too!

Nearpod in elementary school

Publié le 23/07/2019
Jared T.
Assistant Principal
Très faible Très élevée

Commentaires: In our building, all grade level teachers have access and currently use the free lessons. We enjoy those so much we are currently exploring a paid subscription.

Avantages: The interactive lessons are very engaging for students, and the varying paces allow the teacher to lead, or students to work at their individual paces.

Inconvénients: Many of what used to be free lessons now cost to use.