Real feedback based on real life experience

Publié le 25/07/2017
Liessa C.
Sr Mgr Financial Planning, Reporting, & Analysis
201-500 employés
Très faible Très élevée

Commentaires: Customer support is really great. Nice people.

Avantages: OK, this will sound like a promo - but this is real feedback based on real life experience using various BI and FR tools over the years.
Over the last decade Finance/BI has inherited many ops tasks as traditional IT departments push to migrate BI and financial reporting to “user self-service”. (Keeps their headcount down and mine up!)
WebFocus has all the ‘sexy’ stuff that software vendors are promoting. Great, but I am a production shop and 90% of what we do is just day-to-day critical. WebFocus provides the three critical components I need from a BI software package:
InfoAssist helps us manage through staffing churn. I don’t need to hire BI staff with WebFocus experience as most Individuals with any kind of BI experience can launch InfoAssist and figure it out themselves.
Reportcaster: My staff can manage standard scheduled report distribution in Reportcaster. Once set up it’s easy to maintain.
Speed: “Instant” graphs and analytics is today’s expectation. We’ve got more data than we have time to do report development, so WebFocus gets us to the data for all the one-off reports and charts.

Inconvénients: This is not really a con, but a heads up. WebFocus is a robust BI tool. Setup and security requires your IT Department's "buy in" to support the tool. Yes, it's a BI reporting package, and it can be used for just that, but WebFocus can do so much more - and sooner or later you'll want the 'more'

WebFOCUS is a workhorse. It handles the needs of our entire spectrum of users.

Publié le 27/10/2017
Tim B.
Software Engineering Architect
Vente en gros, 1 001-5 000 employés
Très faible Très élevée

Commentaires: This software meets all of the enterprise reporting needs for our organization. From singe-click users to our most advanced super users.

Avantages: WebFOCUS does it all in an single platform. From an entry-level single-click user to our most advanced super users running their own ad hoc queries. It is our enterprise reporting solution, and almost every department in our company uses it in one way or another. It is almost unheard of when we run into a reporting challenge that WebFOCUS cannot handle. It is extremely flexible and robust.

Inconvénients: Flexibility comes with complexity, that is a fact of life, and a fact of this software too. When diving into more advanced features, there is a certain level of necessary complexity. Customizations are also a bit of a trap when it comes to future upgrades. We have learned the hard way that just because we can do something a certain way doesn't necessarily mean we should. A fully customized application will work beautifully in the current version, but will make upgrades an uncomfortable experience. Lastly, the GUI for WebFOCUS has not always been the sleekest visually. This is rapidly changing for the better, but historically has lagged behind other reporting vendors.

The suite of products is great, learning curve can be quite high.

Larissa B.
Business Intelligence Application Administrator
Services financiers, 501-1 000 employés
Très faible Très élevée

Commentaires: Large insights to data trends which were otherwise not noticed. Efficiencies have been made to daily/weekly/monthly tasks by using excel sync's to bring in refreshed data that we couldn't not have mapped into our warehouse. By using this tool, we have created a very efficient report writing team that is spread across our organization and are data experts at an individual department level structure.

Avantages: It's a wide open platform with endless customization options. We have yet to run into an issue that was not able to be met by the work done in webfocus. They're online presence is wonderful for tech support and forums which often find us most of our solutions to any sticky situations.

Inconvénients: So many individual pieces in this suite of products, that it's sometimes confusing as to what you actually own, what you need to buy and what you are getting by with. Upgrades happen quite often, so if you don't have a dedicated system engineer to devote time for upgrades, you'll be bringing in your system engineer that was provided by IBI.

The Better Game in Town with room to expance

Data Technologist
Assurance, 201-500 employés
Très faible Très élevée

Commentaires: I can produce operational and financial reports much easier and quicker than the groups that manage and develop the source systems the data comes from.

Avantages: It's very easy to connect different data sources and start mapping your data and building intelligent reports. I haven't found a relevant data source, yet, that WebFOCUS can't connect to. The latest versions of the product make user interaction extremely intuitive and put a lot of power in the hands of end users to create their own dashboards and reports from managed data sources. With the full AppStudio development tool, extremely complicated scenarios can be analyzed and developed by your developers and published to the users.

Inconvénients: Until very recently, there was not a good method for Source Control of WebFOCUS content. For any company that has their BI fall under SOX Audit controls, this might be a little difficult to deal with.

Build Robust and Easy-to-use Customer Portals

Publié le 17/07/2017
Andrew H.
Business Intel Analyst
Temps d'utilisation du produit: 6 à 12 mois
Très faible Très élevée

Avantages: The company I work for has many existing reports in OLAP and other formats. They purchased WebFocus to begin building out and modernizing client portals, with more visually-appealing charts and graphs in dashboard layout. On top of this, my team and I were all brand new to WebFocus. Within a few months of implementing WebFocus, and partnering with a couple of WebFocus consultants (whom are top-notch by the way), we successfully launched our first client portal on the WebFocus platform. I joined the team earlier this year, so I wasn't involved in the evaluation process, but from what I hear of the other tools that were evaluated, we would have already surpassed their capabilities early on in our project. From what I have seen so far, WebFocus is a very powerful BI tool, with probably more capabilities than we have would ever think of using. We've yet to reach the limits of the tool, and believe me when I say that we have tried.

Inconvénients: The WebFocus format and language is a little different than what I already knew. So there is a learning curve. However, with some training, and the will to learn, it gets much easier in a few months.

The strength is in mining data

Publié le 01/01/2019
Business Analyst
Logiciels, 1 001-5 000 employés
Très faible Très élevée

Commentaires: The main use for me is to create dashboards. Dashboards being data represented in a graphical interface for quick-hitting analysis, especially by C-level personnel. WebFocus has its own proprietary language, which is basically a version of SQL. This knowledge can help when it comes to constructing more detailed queries that cannot be achieved with the GUI. One of the strengths of WebFocus is that it can integrate with numerous DBs, including relational and hierarchical DBs. I've used Focus (the MF and PC version prior to WebFocus) and have seen this tool evolve into its current incarnation which is suited for the internet (web page) world.

Avantages: The focus (no pun) on grabbing data and messaging it into meaning information. Specifically, the tools to achieve that are in one place and helpful in constructing pages to analyze data, such as dashboards. I like that I can take a deeper dive into queries by crafting my own WebFocus queries (knowledge of Focus 4GL required).

Inconvénients: WebFocus does take some training to put together meaningful reports and dashboards. Some aspects are easy to use without any exposure, but IBI promotes their training courses for a reason. This may be a con in that most people expect to create content immediately. To get to the next level, you will need to take more courses. Some tools are hidden and could be more straight-forward.

Amazingly versatile, however it does carry a significant learning curve to maximize that versatility

Publié le 24/05/2018
Michael W.
Business Manager - School of Fine Arts
Enseignement supérieur, 1 001-5 000 employés
Très faible Très élevée

Commentaires: Environment to automate regular reporting and to expand and enhance the availability of data to my organization.

Avantages: Numerous export formats, versatile software which offers a savvy developer several avenues to accomplish the requirements of their audience. The Active Format is a very unique offering allowing developers to give users the ability to drive their own analysis from reports through sorting, filtering, charting and being able to export their work.

Inconvénients: FOCUS itself has a steep learning curve that is very dependent on the capabilities of the entity that is going to implement and use it. Your environment will carry a heavy influence on how successful the implementation will be. Management will need a measure of patients and need to invest in users to learn, documents and carry that intelligence throughout the organization.

Reliable, Robust, User Friendly, and Flexible.

Publié le 01/08/2017
Mitchell C.
Supervisor
Hôpitaux et soins de santé, 10 001+ employés
Très faible Très élevée

Commentaires: Robust Reports and Charts; Business users can easily develop reports

Avantages: - As an IT professional, I find WebFOCUS to be a powerful reporting tool which meets very diversified demands within my organization.
- Allows non-developers to quickly create reports and charts without a lot of technical know how.
- The applications can handle processing large amounts of data in a short period of time. - Technical support staff is knowledgeable and turnaround time for resolving issues is excellent. - Creating ad hoc reports in InfoAssist allows business users to quickly analyze data.

Inconvénients: Have experienced a few hiccups when upgrading from one release to another, but with the assistance of their technical support team, we were able to resolve issues promptly.

Great product, very flexible and powerful

Publié le 11/12/2017
Business Analyst
Compagnies aériennes/Aéronautique
Support client

Avantages: I like the fact that WebFocus is able to solve a lot of problems. It is the type of reporting tool where if you want to accomplish something, there is a way to do it in WebFocus, complicated or simple. Email distribution is by far one of my favourite, we can customize reports to be sent out, embed them in emails, make multiple attachments. Active PDF is also very powerful too.

Inconvénients: Ease of use is a main struggle point for the software. I find its hard to teach a new user how to use the power user tools at this point in time. Having attended their user conference, I have seen some new improvements and redesigns in the next release that will change my mind on this point. Ease of use is very important for user adoption.

WebFOCUS 8x

Michael B.
Senior Consultant
Très faible Très élevée

Commentaires: As a long-time developer and dev manager, I have a very high opinion of WebFOCUS. It's complexity is due to it's depth and breadth. I know that no matter what challenge my team encounters, we can solve it with WebFOCUS.

Avantages: My team at a federal agency has used Information Builders platforms for more than 10 years to manage and report on financial data. The single biggest advantages that the WebFOCUS products share is their flexibility and adaptability. The ability to create anything and connect to everything is huge.

Inconvénients: The flip-side to WebFOCUS's tremendous flexibility is its maturity and complexity. The platform has existed for so long and attempts to accomplish so much that the ramp-up for new developers can feel daunting.

WebFocus is easy to use, powerful, and intuitive

Publié le 23/08/2017
Mitch D.
BI Manager
Très faible Très élevée

Commentaires: WebFocus has all the features that our small/medium sized company needs. We've been able to build complex dashboards/portals, and the tools are easy to work with.

Avantages: The ability to easily switch between a graphical interface and a text editor. I usually start the build of a new report with the GUI. It allows me to see what I'm building as I add columns, titles, and features. However, when I'm troubleshooting a report, I tend to use the text editor, which allows me to look directly at the code. When working in the editor, changes can be made quickly, and large chunks of code can easily be cut and pasted to expand the functionality of the report.

Inconvénients: The software is fine. If I can a con, it would be some of the junior customer service folks that weren't able to resolve certain issues. Overall, however, the senior folks at Info. Builders have a wealth of knowledge.

Information Builders Builds Relationships

Publié le 24/11/2015
Rob F.
IT Manager
Assurance
4.5 / 5
Très faible Très élevée

Avantages: Information Builders is not just a company and it doesn't sell just products and services. They are a partner who ensures that you succeed and they will not talk you into a product that you don't need. When you have a question or concern someone is always more than willing to help you out... with enthusiasm and competence. The product is dynamic and robust to ensure that the business needs are met - technically as well as in usability.

Inconvénients: Information Builders was a little slow to innovate into the 21st century until recently. The past version of WebFOCUS felt like it was still in the early 2000's, but with the release of WebFOCUS 8 they are relevant and innovating the in analytics space.

Feature Rich & East to Use

Brian N.
BI Developer III
Services et technologies de l'information, 501-1 000 employés
Très faible Très élevée

Commentaires: We are helping our clients with modern ways to look at their data to make real time business decisions that continue to propel their businesses to the next level. WebFocus has provided every thing we have needed to create what our company calls raving fans.

Avantages: From self-service to complicated analytic reporting needs, the WebFocus platform has fulfilled every need our company has demanded. The transition of modernizing our business platform as the WebFocus platform advances has been relatively smooth process.... and they have always been right there to guide and help with any difficulties we have encountered.

Inconvénients: I do not have any cons with my experiences with WebFocus.

Information Builders is truly a partner for success. They are always willing to work with you to implement successful solutions and continuously listen to specific customer needs. Many of the features in new releases are directly related to customer reque

Publié le 01/08/2017
Lorne C.
Sr. Business Intelligence / Analytics Consultant
Très faible Très élevée

Commentaires: Information Builders is an innovative company and their products continue to improve. Given the success, experience and age of the company, they have proven to be a trustworthy business partner.

Avantages: The WebFOCUS product can handle most if not all reporting requests, functionality is wide spread. If the product needs to be improved then IBI will partner with you to find a solution and/or improve the offering with new features.

Inconvénients: Depending on the user the learning curve can be a bit high; users should start with the basics and build from there. Even with that though, a user should be able to gain momentum by having success early on.

WebFocus - a heavier, more robust SQL

Publié le 26/09/2018
Associate Application Engineer
Vente au détail, 10 001+ employés
Très faible Très élevée

Commentaires: AppStudio is so much better than DevStudio. I can see many benefits to using this software. We allow users to pull exactly the data they need without having to write or understand SQL. This makes out backend more secure, and makes the whole process smoother for the user.

Avantages: We use AppStudio to create and maintain procedures (.fex). I really like the diversity in commands. You are able to join and manipulate data more than with raw SQL. I also like the option to use their GUI or their raw text editor.

Inconvénients: It is confusing. Although they allow use of a GUI to make the software "easier" to use, there are many things that can ONLY be accomplished using the base FOCUS code. In addition, many times you have to pass over the data multiple times in order to actually get what you want out of it.

WebFocus Review

Publié le 06/06/2019
Marita L.
Data Analyst Software Engineer
Services aux consommateurs, 201-500 employés
Très faible Très élevée

Commentaires: I have worked with WebFOCUS for almost 20 years and I have watched it grow into the tool it is today.

Avantages: I like that you can combine data from all sources into one single report or chart and the user will not know how many data sources were used or notice any lag time from retrieval

Inconvénients: The composers still crash when working in them and it is not easy to modify a page once it is created. Also you cannot get to the code behind and there is still old control code left over after they have been removed from the pages. This can cause browsers to get confused and pages to slow down when loading

WebFocus 8

Publié le 05/06/2019
David F.
VP of Reporting
Services financiers, 501-1 000 employés
Très faible Très élevée

Commentaires: IBI has allowed us to allow our clients to peer into our billing system, to give information around collection data, member account demographics, etc. Providing that transparency to our clients assist greatly in the very important relationship between ABC Financial and our clients.

Avantages: The full suite on the platform allows us so many options for our clients, including standardized visualizations, custom/self-service visualization options, and modern automated options through ReportCaster (In-document analytics, InfoGraphics, etc.).

Inconvénients: At the moment, there is nothing our business needs that IBI cannot provide.

Best Customer Support in the Industry

Publié le 30/10/2018
Thomas C.
Infrastructure Architect/Engineer
Automobile, 10 001+ employés
Très faible Très élevée

Avantages: Fantastic, involved, motivated customer support team
Infographics are the best new feature to come along in quite awhile
Reporting Server is very fast - generally sub-second query time for a lot of queries, regardless of data source; server time is also minimal
Relatively easy to host multiple, separated applications with separate user groups and roles

Inconvénients: Data adapter management
AppStudio software still needs an overhaul - unintuitive and ungainly (3GB???)
AppStudio licensing (vs Reports Developer) - reduce that to one version

it is an excellent company

Publié le 07/12/2017
Miranda M.
DEVELOPER
Très faible Très élevée

Commentaires: I was able to create fast dashboards.
I become a very experience developer using the app studio.

Avantages: I like the new look of App Studio . it can do many powerful things. I loved the html composer and the easy way to create the new portals. In a few minutes you can create powerful dashboards.

Inconvénients: infoassist since I did not used it so often.
Sometimes the workarounds do not work.
Most of the things are documented but sometimes some specific things we need to search in google to find the answer.
sometimes takes too long to solve an issue.

Review of WebFocus from SLGA

Linh D.
BI Consultant
Services d'information, 201-500 employés
Très faible Très élevée

Commentaires: Rapid development helps quick delivery to upper management. More graph library and functions would be great since I do a lot of graphs.

Avantages: New IA features and ease of use. New page designer reduced development time and create a standardized look and feel of a professional page.

Inconvénients: Building business view and metadata can be more streamline. Changes made in one area should be cascade down to other related view without having to remember to change things in multiple places. More automated process to build a view.

Mixed.. We have evangelists and others that would prefer not to use WebFOCUS.

Publié le 26/10/2017
John B.
systems manager
Banque, 10 001+ employés
Très faible Très élevée

Commentaires: turning data into information for business

Avantages: I think the operational BI aspect of WebFOCUS stands out. We like how the visualization aspects are growing and the interface is getting a more modern look and feel. I think you can do a lot with WebFOCUS.

Inconvénients: Had many people complain about performance of the environment. Sometimes upgrades are tough and we have a lower confidence level that everything is going to work. People can find WebFOCUS hard to use and it can be hard to find WebFOCUS developers.

A Very Powerful Platform with excellent support

Publié le 31/10/2018
Director Application Delivery
Transport routier/ferroviaire, 10 001+ employés
Très faible Très élevée

Commentaires: We have made extensive use of dashboards, reports and business critical analytics decision making processes. It has truly made a positive impact on our bottom line.

Avantages: The platform is very flexible and deep in capabilities. There has been no problem that our company has not been able to solve with it.

Inconvénients: The self service capabilities of previous versions have been more like developer tools and not intuitive for business users to work with. This seems to be resolved in the latest version soon to be released.

Good for Dashboards

Publié le 11/10/2018
Leah M.
Sr Data Analyst
Télécommunications, 1 001-5 000 employés
Très faible Très élevée

Commentaires: It is a great tool for building more complex reports and dashboards. Would just like to see more resources and learning documents.

Avantages: The integration of HTML and SQL reporting capabilities helps for creating great, dynamic dashboards and reports. I love the ability to add parameters and criteria to my dashboards and make everything look sleek and easy to use.

Inconvénients: If there is something I do not know how to do, it is difficult to follow the resources or troubleshoot the problems I am experiencing. I also would love to see improved error reporting that better specifies your errors, especially in SQL your code (when your procedure will not run).

BNY Mellon Webfocus conversion

Publié le 11/10/2018
Philip M.
VP, Application Manager
Banque, 10 001+ employés
Très faible Très élevée

Commentaires: it has been a good experience to learn about distributed environment after years of working on the mainframe

Avantages: recently converted mainframe jobs to webfocus environment. Most existing jobs were easily ported over to distributed environment will few changes. However, this gave us an opportunity to do some well needed tuning on jobs that have been running on mainframe for 15-20 year. Tuning has increase efficiency and speed in new Linux environment and we are incurring cost savings by moving application to a distributed environment over IBM mainframe

Inconvénients: i currently have no negative comments to make

I've been "In FOCUS sine 1933" and have used it extensively since then.

Douglas L.
WebFOCUS / Business Intelligence Consultant
Télécommunications, 2-10 employés
Très faible Très élevée

Commentaires: We can do that in WebFOCUS... Better than anything else...

Avantages: Innovation! The way things that are complicated are being made easy and the easy things are being automated. ... YES!, We can do that in WebFOCUS!

Inconvénients: Really? What do I like LEAST? Well, I guess: keeping up with all the new features as the innovation continues a fast as it does... That's more of a challenge . BUT IBI provides great help , support, and training to help us overcome those challengers.